News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Upgrading the SA250.

Started by JensM, May 09, 2019, 01:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JensM

Good whatever time of day it is when you read this!

New to the forum, and relatively new to the Tormek, have used it a tiny bit, but was gifted my FILs old SA250 due to the inlaws moving from house to appartement. He has used it to sharpen his woodworking tools with and I got a flat holder with the machine. I have bought two of the knife holders, the axe holder and found a holder for some sort of chisel/sculpting tool, most likely from when I lent my late fathers much later Tormek for a while. (My brother has that machine).

Looking at the machine, it is a classic SA250, unmarked stone of 250mm diameter most likely the natural stone, rubber polishing wheel, bolted axle.  What I am looking for is advice on one specifically upgrade, I have found that I can get the leather wheel, the micro adjusted tool holder and that the regular 250mm wheels as they are just a matter of switching around.

What I am curious about is if it is possible to mount the XB-100 horisontal mount on the SA250?

I havent found anything about that, nor does the mounting instructions mention it.

I am also interested in information about the stone I have, contra the other options available now (but I have not done my homework on that topic), I gather as much that it is a mooth point of investing in the SP-650 and running that over it.  :o

That about it for now.

Thanks for having me,  glad I found the forum and decided to join!

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Jens.

You have a very special Tormek. In camera terms, you have walked into a room full of new Leica users carrying a classic Leica M3. (In my opinion, based on thirty years'use, the finest Leica ever made.) Enjoy your classic!

You really should contact Tormek support (support@tormek.se). (no charge) Most of us, including me, have never seen or used the original natural stone. I am guessing that it was never designed to be used with the stone grader. It was a finer grit stone than the present SG Super Grind aluminum oxide man made stone. Support should be able to walk you through installing the XB-100.

Check with support about the compatibility of the natural stone and the TT-50 truing tool. All grinding wheels need to be dressed occasionally. I recommend the 2019 version of the TT-50.

Ask plenty of questions, and do keep us posted.

Ken

RichColvin

And add pictures as you go please.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.