News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

How to sharpen small curves at the base of the bevel?

Started by Antz, June 06, 2019, 02:39:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antz

So I got a question for you knife sharpening experts. On a lot of knives where the bevel meets the choil the blade curves in slightly toward the spine of the knife. With the tormek stone being 2 inches wide I can't seem to find a way to satisfactorily sharpen this small portion of the knife. I can only think of two ways. One being taking off way to much material from the entire length of the knife until it becomes flat all the way to the choil. Or two trying to get into that little curve with the edge of the grinding wheel which I'm reluctant to try as the edge of the wheel is a lot rougher than the top. I also don't want to "radius" the edge of my grinding wheel to try and get in the curve. Am I missing something? Also I can't figure out how to upload any pictures as it keeps telling me file to big.

Thanks,
Antz
"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭15:57‬ ‭

Ken S

Antz,

Here is a you tube on the subject by Steve Bottorff:

https://youtu.be/KrhZULmd18g

If you are seriously interested in starting a farmers market, Steve's Sharpening School DVD is essential training. I suggest purchasing it before you invest in more equipment. Steve's website is sharpeningmadeeasy.com.

Ken

Antz

Ken,
Yes my next purchase before I buy anymore equipment will be Steve's "sharpening school in a box". I am serious about doing farmers markets maybe twice a month. Other than that I have knives from customers in the restaurant industry and just through word of mouth that I do at my house: (I've been sharpening for a while before I got my tormek with bench stones). I'm hoping to start marketing myself more and picking up more business. Thank you for the YouTube link, I'll check it out as soon as I can.

Thanks,
Antz

Antz

Update:

So I watched Steve's video and his method is to use the edge of the wheel. I was worried about using the edge of the stone because I thought it was too rough. As it turns out I was worried for nothing. After some practice I have the basic technique down pretty good. My practice knife is now hair popping sharp from tip to base. I'm feeling more and more confident with my skills and it just makes me want to sharpen more things! I wish I had more knives on hand... I think tomorrow I'll start practicing on chisels followed by scissors.

Thanks again Ken,
Antz

Ken S

You are welcome, Antz. Unlike most DVDs, Steve's Sharpening School is a training reference you will refer to often. I learn more every time I watch it. Steve is a real deal sharpening master. He spent many years as a farmers market sharpener and sharpening teacher.
Enjoy his DVD!
Keep posting.

Ken

John_B

Antz, I think one of our responsibilities is to educate our customers on the proper care and handling of the knives we sharpen. I have found that word of mouth has been great advertising for the small number of knives I want to sharpen. To this end I have prepared a small card I give each person with simple care instructions. This card with my details on it helps. This is discussed in this thread:
https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=3955.0

Another task you will be asked to do is refurbishment of knives that have been abused. You will be amazed how poorly knives are treated and you will be asked to fix broken tips and chipped cutting edges. To this end I think you will find a need for a belt sander in your arsenal of tools. Often tomes blade thinning or reshaping becomes necessary and you will want a tool that gets the job fast.

Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Antz

John, that's good advice for care instructions on a business card. Also I've been looking at getting a Kalamazoo 1x42 belt sander.

I am amazed at how so many people who work in kitchens with knives for a living treat their knives so badly. Almost every knife I've done so far has either a broken tip, chips, nicks, or bent. Some have even been totally rusty!

Antz

Ken S

Antz,
In addition to checking out the Kalamazoo, you should also look into the Viel conversion done by the members of the BESS exchange. (bessex.com) The Viel is sold without a motor. The bessex group (I am a member) has developed a conversion to a variable speed motor and a smaller drive pulley. The variable speed makes the Viel a very versatile machine, an excellent complement to the Tormek. Steve Bottorff of sharpeningmadeeasy.com is also a Viel dealer. Steve has special ordered Viel units and can supply mounting plates which make this conversion a home shop project. It's well worth a look.

I, too am amazed by how often knives are abused. As the knife dulls, the work becomes more strenuous. Why do the extra work when sharp, well maintsined knives can make life easier?

Ken

Josu V

Quote from: Antz on June 08, 2019, 09:58:33 AM
John, that's good advice for care instructions on a business card. Also I've been looking at getting a Kalamazoo 1x42 belt sander.

I am amazed at how so many people who work in kitchens with knives for a living treat their knives so badly. Almost every knife I've done so far has either a broken tip, chips, nicks, or bent. Some have even been totally rusty!

Antz

I completely identify with you.
I dedicate myself professionally to sharpening and only very occasionally give me a knife of medium or high range to sharpen. The rest are knives that need to be "resurrected" before they can be sharpened. Very damaged... (I think damaged is a very soft word).
I think that the correct care, handling and storage are the last part of grinding  :)

Over the initial theme: if the corners are very hard, you may rectificate with the Tormek Stone Grader starting 45º and increase progressively in order to make the corner more round/to make it more soft.
You can view it on minute 1:08 on Wootz´s video.

https://youtu.be/Ug_GvJco0vM

Regards
Abusus non tollit usum

Antz

Thank you for your reply's Ken and Josu, I have looked into the Veil with variable speed conversion and it looks like a very affordable, versatile option. It would be a great addition to my current setup of Tormek and paper wheels. It might even be a necessary addition. I'm sure in time I'll come across some knives/scissors etc. that will make me wish I had one.

Thanks,
Antz

Ken S

Antz,

In case you are wondering why Steve did not include the modified Viel in his DVD, is was not developed until after the DVD was produced.The modification development is fully covered on bessex.com. You should read it before making a decision. Incidentally, bessex.com is the best place to post any questions about it. The whole development team is there and very helpful.

Josu,

I believe good pricing should include fair value to both the customer and the vendor. As a sharpener, it seems fair to charge more for repairing a knife than just sharpening a dull knife. You need to exercise good judgement with this.

Ken

RickKrung

I just ordered the modified Viel from Steve Bottorff and the variable speed motor/controller from Penn State Industries.  I look forward to being able to deal with those blades that need bevels restored before they can be sharpened, plus a number of other tasks. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Antz

Nice Rick, I hope it works out well for you. I'll be interested to hear your take on it once you receive it. Did you order any of the jigs for the veil from Steve's sight? I was thinking at least the knife guide jig would be useful.

Ken, I'll have to check out the bessex forum. Thanks for pointing me in that direction for more info.

Thanks,
Antz

RickKrung

I did not order any jigs from Steve for the Viel.  I plan to set it up with a Tormek BGM-100 so I can use the Tormek jigs. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.