News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Freehand on Tormek then benchstone

Started by Sharpco, May 08, 2019, 02:42:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharpco

https://youtu.be/YE6utleepuE

In this video, Korin use a large water cooled wheel for first step of repair/sharpening then sharpen it on the benchstone. Very impressive!

Is anybody here who uses Tormek like this?

Recently, I practice freehand benchstone sharpening. But I still need Tormek and Belt grinder because first step of sharpening takes the most time.

Ken S

Steve Bottorff, who is highly skilled, generally freehand sharpens knives with his Tormek. However, he states that using jigs with the the Tormek is the best way to get very even bevels.
Most of us, including me, do not have Steve's level of skill.

van

All free-hand barber razors are sharpened only with bench stones
Kindly yours

Josu V

When I have repared one knife, I have used a more cheaper water stone machine first. Like this:

The price of this machine is lower than de SG-250 of Tormek, makes the job more quickly (Grit 80) and the grinding wheel can be used with water.
When the knife has again its original form, I go to the Tormek T-8 to finish the job. Whith this kind of machines is impossible to approach the quality of Tormek (in my humble opinion).

Sometimes (at home) I sharpen my knifes with freehand benchstone. I use five natural stones. Natural stones are more slower than the synthetic stones, but they are more cheaper and makes the job perfectly.

Regards

Abusus non tollit usum

Ken S

Josu,

I can see that your second machine could get the rough grinding accomplished at a low cost. However, I prefer another option, which can be just as effective and done at even lower cost.

I have used Norton 3X forty six and eighty grit grinding wheels. Either one will work; you don't need both. They cost about $50 US each. They grind quickly. They are not an ideal match for the Tormek out of the box, however, they can be easily modified to work well.

Norton only sells 3X wheels in 6and 8 inch diameters. The 6inch size is too small for any Tormek. The 8 inch diameter fits the T4 exactly. It will work with the T8 like a regular wheel worn down to 200mm or 8 inches.The one inch width is narrower than the Tormek wheels, but is surprisingly useful.

I have described several methods of mounting the wheels. My latest preference is using a steel reducing bushing (1" to 12mm) from D-Way tools. These adaptors for either size Tormek very well. You must use several nylon spacer rings (1" ID, 1 1/4" OD from a hardware store) to fill up the width difference. This is less complicated than it sounds. As the reducing bushing is not stainless steel, ACC or other antioxidant solution is necessary. Including all costs, this is still an effective, low cost option.

Choose whichever option you like; they all work.

Ken

Josu V

I just saw the abrasive wheels of Norton 3X. Very interesting at low price.  I Take note  :)

The machine that I have shown before are very cheap ( from 35€/39$ 240W to 60€/67$ 480W).

Thank you for information.
Abusus non tollit usum