News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

CBN for high carbon

Started by Scotty, February 17, 2022, 02:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty

Has anyone tried CBN wheels for high carbon Japanese knife steel (Aogami Super etc)? Thanks
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in this world. Marines don't have that problem."
President Ronald Regan

brandonzou

Yes. It works. CBN wheels are working good on high carbon steel. CBN works for hardened steel, the harder the better. :)

Scotty

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in this world. Marines don't have that problem."
President Ronald Regan

Ken S

Scotty,

When I was researching and testing CBN wheels a number of years ago, part of my research involved watching videos by the two major vendors at the time (D-Way and Woodturnerswonders) The D-Way videos showed how to clean the wheel after it became clogged from grinding mild (unhardened) steel. The cure was to grind some hardened steel.
I believe that is where the caution about carbon steel originated.

Ken

Scotty

President Ronald Regan

RickKrung

Woodturners Wonders sells a product to apply to CBN wheels to help reduce that clogging and reduce friction, wear and heat buildup.  It is a push-up stick.

I have some but have not used it much, probably because my usage of an 8" CBN wheel on a low speed bench grinder has been light and the 10" CBN wheel I run in water on my T8. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Scotty

Thanks.
Are you running WTW CBN in water?
Any issues?
I have been using the Tornado in water with no problems.
The Spartans are another story -  the hubs are not wide enough and extra spacer are required so as not to impact the frame or water trough sides.
President Ronald Regan

RickKrung

Quote from: Scotty on March 11, 2022, 04:59:48 PM
Thanks.
Are you running WTW CBN in water?
Any issues?
...snip...

Yes.  And No. 

Yes, I'm running in water with the ACC solution.  With full knowledge that my warranty may be void because of it. My choice to take the risk. 

No, no problems, but I am careful to dry it with towels and then compressed air at the end of use sessions - not between wheel changes.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Scotty

Thanks.
Kinda what I have been doing.
Sharpco out of Korea states that he has never had a problem. (Actual quote was "no problemo")
President Ronald Regan

Ken S

Based on emails with WTW several years ago, I believe they voided the warranty because of complaints from careless users who left their CBN wheels in the water troughs without using any corrosion preventing solution. I think this was done to prevent hassles from irate customers who were using the wheels incorrectly rather than because of problems with the wheels themselves. In fairness to WTW and the others, these wheels were designed for sharpening woodturning tools with high speed dry grinders, which they do well. (I include half speed 1725RPM grinders as high speed.) The D-Way CBN wheels I purchased back worked well, although only when used with Honerite Gold, the only anti corrosion solution available. D-Way wheels have a one inch bore. They sell very nicely machined reducing bushings in 3/4", 5/8", and 12mm. The 12mm adaptor works nicely with both the T4 and T8. However, the adaptors and wheels are made of non stainless steel. Using anti corrosion solution solves this problem.

Ken

Scotty

Thank you.
I have been using a HoneRite gold solution as well
I have had zero issue with the WTW Tornado wheels.
Cannot say I am a fan of the Spartan wheels though.
President Ronald Regan

3D Anvil

Quote from: Scotty on March 11, 2022, 07:24:40 PM
Thank you.
I have been using a HoneRite gold solution as well
I have had zero issue with the WTW Tornado wheels.
Cannot say I am a fan of the Spartan wheels though.
May I ask what you don't like about the Spartan wheels?

Alston

How do CBN compare to Diamond wheels on a cost/longevity basis?

Scotty

Spartans, by definition are made bare bones,
My center hubs did not extend beyond the width of the cutting surface thereby necessitating additional spacers.
They appeared to be corroding and delaminating where the CBN meets the plastic.
I always used them with Honerite.
Having said that, the cutting surface was (and still is) performing as expected.
Might just be an aesthetics thing with me.
Ken at WTW is a standup guy.
President Ronald Regan