News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Used tormek machines

Started by Nickclick, March 24, 2019, 01:44:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffs55

if you later add a T8 to your arsenal, the same jigs work on both. If you do this, you should have bought the T8 in the first place. You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Twisted Trees

While I agree that a company sponsored website is not the place to buy and sell second hand machines, I am sure that Tormek make much more in consumables and jigs from machines in use, than they do from machines in cupboards.  ;)

Ken S

Jeff,
More is better, if we need more. With a Tormek, very few of us need more.

Twisted Trees,
I agree that Tormek makes more revenue from jigs and accessories than on basic units. Personally, I don't care if members, new or old, use new or veteran Tormeks. I know there are forum members with valuable experience with purchasing and using older Tormeks. I certainly have no problem discussing how to use or repair older Tormeks on the forum. A search of the frequent posters on the forum will quickly reveal good candidates for expertise in purchasing used units. I have no problem with discussing this via PM. I just don't want the Tormek forum to become a swap meet to avoid dealing with Tormek's authorized dealers.

Ken

Ken S

There are no bad choices with Tormek. There are, however, choices which are a better fit for an individual's requirements and budgetary restrictions.A skilled Tormeker will produce sharp edges with whatever Tormek is available, whether it is a battle hardened ShoerGrind, A T4 or a new T8.

Jeff Farris wrote an excellent blog article comparing the pros and cons of buying new vs used. Jeff wrote the article years ago, but it is as applicable now as it was then. Jeff was the primary US Tormek dealer for many years. Most of the SuperGrinds owned by forum members and also those for sale were probably originally sold be Jeff. Many of them may have even been his demo units over the years.

Jeff expressed concern that he felt the used Tormek market was overpriced compared to the new market. Jeff was also the US Tormek agent, who did most of the warranty repairs. Jeff certainly what Tormek repairs could cost in the days before stainless steel shafts and improved metal finishes.When the potential costs of needed repair and upgrade parts are added to the base cost, the saving becomes debatable.

Fortunate is the beginner who is blessed with an experienced mentor and patience to find a good used Tormek. I follow the used Tormek market on a regular basis. I consider the used prices of Tormeks almost all overpriced compared to the cost of a new Tormek. With a new Tormek, one gets both rigorous factory inspection and an ironclad seven year guarantee. I feel the security of factory inspection and the warranty offer the best value for a beginner. Jeff expressed the same thought in his blog article.

Ken