News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Note to self......

Started by Yardbird, March 23, 2019, 06:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yardbird

So as a newbie, I was merrily sharpening my chisels and plane blades this AM. After sharpening a very short and rather narrow chisel, I noticed it left some grooves in the stone. Not to worry, I thought, I'll just see how the truing tool works. Make sure to tighten the tool securely to the shaft. Half way across the stone it loosened and put a huge gouge in my brand new stone! bummer! Had to take off way more than I should have to get the stone back to true. It pained me to see so much of the stone in the trough after I was done! On the bright side, I bet I don't do that again......

Ken S

I had a similar experience. All of a sudden, my truing tool jammed up and put a nasty gouge in my grinding wheel. I thought I had ruined my truing tool, and actually ordered a replacement.

When cooler judgement returned, I realized what had happened. I had neglected to tighten the locking screw which secured my truing tool to the support bar. I cautiously tried things again and was delighted and surprised to see that I had not ruined my diamond truing tool. I also realized that Tormek had both the TT-50 and the TT-50U. The U version was an upgrade for those who already had the older version and wished to save a little money by reusing their diamond cluster. The bargain I had found was the U version. The error was totally mine. When I explained the situation to the dealer, Advanced Machinery, they graciously allowed me to return the TT-50U for a refund. I paid for shipping both ways, which seems fair to me. Like Yardbird, I have not made that mistake again.

I asked Tormek if the new 2019 TT-50 would also be available in an Upgrade version. I was told that as very few of the earlier Upgrade version sold, only the complete version would be available.

Ken

bisonbladesharpening

bisonbladesharpening

I've also jammed up the scissor jig against the stone by not locking it in properly.

Ken S

The Tormek is a hearty species......

Ken

RichColvin

Glad I'm not the only person who has done that.
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Dakotapix

I believe I also created a groove in my stone when I once failed to lock down the truing tool. I wonder though if it's really necessary to shave the wheel down completely to remove the groove. It's unsightly, yes, but does it affect the user's ability to create a smooth edge on the tool being sharpened? Just wondering...

Twisted Trees

Quote from: Dakotapix on March 24, 2019, 12:55:51 PM
I believe I also created a groove in my stone when I once failed to lock down the truing tool. I wonder though if it's really necessary to shave the wheel down completely to remove the groove. It's unsightly, yes, but does it affect the user's ability to create a smooth edge on the tool being sharpened? Just wondering...

In theory moving the tool over the wheel will minimize a small groove's impact. (and avoid creating one in the first place) but a nice flat wheel is desired and desirable. I suspect we have all screwed the stone at some point, and it is very annoying. Practice does help, but it doesn't  take much distraction for even the most skilled to get careless.

Ken S

Interesting thought, Dakotapix. My perfect world dide wants to say absolutely, yes. However, my real world side, supported by my thrifty world side, say maybe not.

Testing this is another example of the value of having some "sharpening tools", in my case, 3/4" bench chisels.

A premptive run with the coarse side of the stone grader might not be a bad idea.

I think I might give it a try.

Ken

Twisted Trees, your reply came in as I was getting ready to post. You make a very good point. (Perhaps the value of regular practice to keep us focused......)

jeffs55

I wonder though if it's really necessary to shave the wheel down completely to remove the groove. It's unsightly, yes, but does it affect the user's ability to create a smooth edge on the tool being sharpened? Just wondering... IMHO the answer is no. You are moving the blade back and forth across the groove and thereby ignoring it. Of course there is a limit based on practicality to avoiding the groove.  Also, if you develop an elliptical shape to your wheel, it will still sharpen well. If you do make an egg shape it will only get worse with use. Using it will not reshape it back to round.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Ken S

Yardbird

Well, it's nice to know I am not the only one! Thanx to all for your replies!

Ken S

Whatever potholes you step into are probably well trodden. That seems to be how we learn, although I continue to believe that by sharing those steps, both good and bad, we don't all have to step into every pothole.

Ken