News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek T2 and DWC/SJ-200

Started by brainstorm, March 20, 2019, 12:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brainstorm

Hello,
as soon as my problems will be solved by Tormek's support, I'd like to discuss with you about the convenience of buying and using other wheels, like DWC and SJ on this machine.
They would be intended for only kitchen knives and house scissors use.
Would it make sense or standard wheels can already give a good result?
I'm not looking for perfection, but for a good result without spending too much time on every piece.
Thanks a lot as always.

cbwx34

Quote from: brainstorm on March 20, 2019, 12:36:50 PM
Hello,
as soon as my problems will be solved by Tormek's support, I'd like to discuss with you about the convenience of buying and using other wheels, like DWC and SJ on this machine.
I'm not looking for perfection, but for a good result without spending too much time on every piece.
Thanks a lot as always.

Try the DWF stone that comes with it first.  The DWC stone would be needed if your knives need more than a "touch up", for example they have chips, are extremely dull, need a new bevel, etc.  So, basically, if it takes more than a few passes with the DWF stone to get your knife sharp, the DWC stone might be a good investment.

The SJ stone is not designed to work with the T2.  It requires a water trough, plus the jig on the T2 is designed to work with a stone that doesn't wear.  (Not saying you couldn't, but not set up for it).  Really shouldn't need it anyway... the DWF stone, combined with the honing wheel, should give you a decently sharp knife... better than factory sharp for sure. ;)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

I don't mean to discourage anyone from spending money on Tormek products, Tormek spent a lot of effort designing the T2. Before it became generally available, it was test marketed in Sweden. The understanding I have was that Tormek originally designed the T2 just with the DWF-200 600 grit wheel. I believe the DWC-200 360 grit wheel was added at the request of a major Swedish customer. My point is that the T2 was designed to work as a one wheel machine. I would suggest holding off purchasing the DWC-200 wheel until you feel you have thoroughly mastered the DWF.

Be all you can be; take the time to master the basic Tormek.

Ken

brainstorm

Thank you very much for your answers.
They're illuminating.
I was asking if it could be possible for me to sharpen hardest knives with my T2, as UX10 or similar ones.
Do you have any experience about that?

Ken S

Quote from: brainstorm on March 20, 2019, 12:36:50 PM
Hello,
Thanks a lot as always.

Back to your original post:

The T2 is only designed for sharpening knives. One of the reasons I recommend the T4 instead is that it can be used to sharpen scissors.

Regarding kitchen knives and your concern about the hardest steels, I don't know. In my limited experience sharpening my own kitchen knives, the SG wheel has always handled both my top of the line Henckels from long ago and my more recent inexpensive knives. The priority with kitchen knife steel seems to be rust prevention rather than hardness. I would start with the SG wheel. Unless you are a very experienced sharpener, I would stay away from sharpening expensive exotic steel knives at first.

Ken

John_B

Before you venture into the exotic steel arena I would practice as Ken suggests and digest this pdf http://knifegrinders.com.au/Manuals/Knife_Deburring_book.pdf or the complete book. You really need to know what steel a knife is made of in order to apply the proper technique to obtain a truly sharp edge. I also suggest browsing around the www.knifegrinders.com.au site. There is an excellent section on the process they follow.

Another excellent reference on sharpening is provided here: http://www.sharpeninghandbook.info/

Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

I agree with John that Knife Grinders and the Sharpening Handbook are useful sources. However, I also believe in just learning and doing the basics first. Google "Jeff Farris Sharpening videos". That's how most of us started. (Read the handbook, too.) Sharpen some chisels and knives.

Ken

brainstorm

Quote from: john.jcb on March 24, 2019, 06:03:51 PM
Before you venture into the exotic steel arena I would practice as Ken suggests and digest this pdf http://knifegrinders.com.au/Manuals/Knife_Deburring_book.pdf or the complete book. You really need to know what steel a knife is made of in order to apply the proper technique to obtain a truly sharp edge. I also suggest browsing around the www.knifegrinders.com.au site. There is an excellent section on the process they follow.

Another excellent reference on sharpening is provided here: http://www.sharpeninghandbook.info/

Hi John,
thanks for your advise.
I've been already reading the first handbook and it's amazing, although I had some difficults because of the technical language.
I'll be reading the other sources as soon as possible.

brainstorm

Quote from: john.jcb on March 24, 2019, 06:03:51 PM

Hi John,
thanks for your advise.
I've been already reading the first handbook and it's amazing, although I had some difficults because of the technical language.
I'll be reading the other sources as soon as possible.

brainstorm

Quote from: Ken S on March 25, 2019, 12:12:32 PM
I agree with John that Knife Grinders and the Sharpening Handbook are useful sources. However, I also believe in just learning and doing the basics first. Google "Jeff Farris Sharpening videos". That's how most of us started. (Read the handbook, too.) Sharpen some chisels and knives.

Ken

Ken, I'll be looking at those videos for sure.
Thank you!