News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Kitchen knife technique?

Started by kenc295, March 22, 2019, 05:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenc295

I'm wondering what the consensus is on the proper technique for sharpening knives?  The Tormek video (I keep wanting to say "Tormach" as I have a Tormach milling machine also) shows strictly rotating the guide on the guide bar. Youtube videos show two different techniques, one gentleman shows "lifting" rather than rotating - he states NOT to rotate. Another shows a combination of rotating and lifting the jig/knife.

????

Ken S

I lift at the point. However, I sharpen only garden variety kitchen knives.

Ken

bisonbladesharpening

I sharpen lots of kitchen knives.  After 10,000 or so I am convinced that lifting is the best technique.
A couple of tips if I may.  The longer the knife, be careful not to lift too early.  Make sure the tip of the
knife is almost half way through the stone or you will flare the tip.  Some chefs like that but not all.
Practice, practice, practice, and then cut with the knives.  I use over ripe tomatoes to see if i can cut through the skin. 
See if you can get 50 slices out of a 1/2 of lime.  If you are using the leather wheel don't rush it and use a liberal amount of paste.  I strop with paper wheel
for speed but the leather is great.  For long slicing knives put the long blade jig toward the end of the blade for added control and stability.
Enjoy and Best Wishes
Tim

Ken S

kenc295

Thank you both.  My wife was very pleased with the knives last time - I did lift but clearly need more practise to be consistent.

John_B

What I do on knives with a curve is visualize a line along the point of contact when I am sharpening the straight part of the knife. When I get to the radius I try and maintain contact along that line. This works out well for me and reduces any flare on the tip. Depending on the amount of curve I mostly lift but some require a little rotation.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease