News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Drive wheel wobble

Started by Kicksnblades, March 16, 2019, 03:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kicksnblades

Hi guys,

I just got my T8 and the drive wheel has some side to side wobble I'm assuming that it's nit normal but wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced this

jeffs55

The links posted show wobble of the stone and the honing wheel not the drive wheel. Do you mean drive wheel or one of the ones shown, ie grinding stone or honing wheel. If you mean the drive wheel that causes the stone and honing wheel to revolve the answer is no, it should not wobble. If you mean the stone and or honing wheel do this. Rotate the wobbling stone in 1/8 degrees positions and retighten the locking nut. Do this until they cease to wobble. There is a sweet spot on these wheels that will make them revolve without wobbling. If the drive wheel is wonky then someone else will need to help you.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

cbwx34

Quote from: jeffs55 on March 16, 2019, 04:39:37 PM
The links posted show wobble of the stone and the honing wheel not the drive wheel.

The 2nd video does show a wobble in the drive wheel.

Quote from: Kicksnblades on March 16, 2019, 03:46:39 PM
Hi guys,

I just got my T8 and the drive wheel has some side to side wobble I'm assuming that it's nit normal but wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced this

To me it seems more than it should... but I think you would best be served by contacting Tormek support directly.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Kicksnblades

When I take the leather honing wheel off the other wheel with the rubber on it that makes the stone turn wobbles. It's the second video. I didn't think that the stone was wobbling did you see the stone wobble in my videos? I think I might return the unit I bought it from Tomboy Supply which is listed on tormek website as a reseller

GeoTech

I would contact Tormek, it appears that the rubber drive wheel is wobbly. Could be the zinc casting that the rubber is attached to or the stainless steel drive shaft. Either one is easily replaced, and you won't have to box the unit up and ship it back.

Ken S

Quote from: GeoTech on March 16, 2019, 11:24:45 PM
I would contact Tormek, it appears that the rubber drive wheel is wobbly. Could be the zinc casting that the rubber is attached to or the stainless steel drive shaft. Either one is easily replaced, and you won't have to box the unit up and ship it back.

I would definitely contact Tormek support. (support@tormek.se). I would add to the comment about "having to box the unit up and ship it back" that I had a conversation with a Tormek rep and a rep of Affinity Tool, Tormek's US importer. I asked this question quite directly. They told me that Tormek would send an email with a prepaid shipping label. Tormek's warranty service is second to none. Be sure to register your Tormek online.

Ken

Kicksnblades

Thanks guys I sent tormek support a message I expect that I'll be hearing from them tomorrow since it was the weekend

Kicksnblades

In case any of you were wondering it was the drive wheel you couldn't tell with the naked eye but the something was out of wack. Customer support sent me a new drive wheel and that solved the wobble problem. Great customer support from tormek and affinity

bisonbladesharpening

I got a replacement drive wheel also right after I purchased my T8 because of wobble.
It was one of the first T8's shipped.  After much closer scrutiny I think the problem may be more
how the rubber is attached to the hub rather than a problem with the hub itself.  The wobble did also show in the
leather wheel also.  Still a little baffled by it because the leather wheel attaches to the hub and not the rubber part.
Still a workhorse and dependable machine.
Best Wishes
Tim

Ken S

Quote from: Kicksnblades on March 28, 2019, 04:24:35 PM
In case any of you were wondering it was the drive wheel you couldn't tell with the naked eye but the something was out of wack. Customer support sent me a new drive wheel and that solved the wobble problem. Great customer support from tormek and affinity

Well done. This is exactly why I recommend contacting support first for any wannanty problems.

Ken