News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

TT-50 2019 model review.

Started by Ken S, March 20, 2019, 02:22:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

My new TT-50 (2019 model) arrived today. I used it to true up my SG-250.

When I review a Tormek product, Most fall into my category of "recommended for new purchase, but no need to replace the previous model if you already have one". A few products, most notably the SVD-186 gouge jig, I rate highly enough to recommend purchasing it even if you are already happily using the predecessor product. I include the new TT-50 2019 model in the recommended for new purchase category. If you are presently using the original ADV-50 truing tool, I recommend replacing it with the latest TT-50.

I am impressed with its design and quality of machining. Like most new Tormek jigs, it utilizes machined zinc. With the older version of the TT-50, some users were experiencing bounce. Ionut solved this problem by using two small electrical ties. Recently, Sharpco showed using a strong magnet to solve the bounce problem. I have never had the bounce problem. If I did, I would try one of these two fixes.

The redesigned TT-50 is priced the same as the older TT-50, $93US. It is essential. It should be among the first purchases for every T4 owner.

My usage recommendation is less aggressive than the included Tormek instructions. I favor very light passes, perhaps only half a microadjust number, especially when starting out. I also favor frequent truing. We paid for a Tormek, why not optimize it with a true wheel. True often and lightly.

Ken