News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New well done knife repair video from Tormek

Started by Ken S, March 05, 2019, 03:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on March 10, 2019, 01:44:53 AM
Ouch! I think you are being a little rough, CB. I think this latest knife sharpening video is a good step in the right direction. I want to encourage Tormek to continue making videos. I hope this video will be the first fruit in a series of more technical videos. Admittedly, some of us have advanced beyond this stage. However, we have many beginners in our ranks. I would not want the first video to intimidate them. It is a good building block, something long overdue. I welcome it and eagerly anticipate more.

I follow the forum stats regularly. Usually there a few logged in members online AND perhaps thirty guests. (I realize that some of the "guests" are really members who have not logged on, however, there are still a lot of interested guests!) I have never believed that Tormek management fully appreciates the financial value of the forum to Tormek. If the forum was fully appreciated, management would allocate sufficient resources to training videos. Tormek has resources: trained, experienced personnel and a fine studio/ training facility. If financial resources were routed to training videos, they would not only benefit us; they would bolster the dealer/sales personnel staff.

I live in hope.

Ken

Quote from: wootz on March 10, 2019, 03:06:52 AM
cbwx4, there are sure several ways to word your comments. Let me give you a feedback that sometimes tone of your comments is discouraging others from posting on this forum. As you can imagine, there may be sensitive persons that prefer to stay in the "read mode" not to lay themselves open to ridicule.
I know you long enough, you bear no malice, only some of your comments that you put as entertaining are not perceived as such by the readers.

I'm totally serious in my comments... that video had very little info of value.  Could either of you recommend that video to someone who came along wanting to know how to repair a knife... without any other info?

I stand by what I wrote.  ;)

Edit: maybe I should explain why.  They spent 3 1/2 hours, shooting a video for what they said was 25 min. work.  Now, which would you rather see, a <5 min. video with "retakes, different angles" etc. (what Sebastian wrote earlier) barely covering what was done, or a one or two camera video showing the entire process from start to finish, from grading the side of the stone, to the end?  Sure you could edit out some of the time of just repairing the knife... after perhaps explaining how to hold it, how to move it so you don't gouge the side, how to manipulate the knife, etc.  Then a quick cut where you say... "we spent 10 min. on this part"... and continue on to repairing the edge... how to shape it, don't just focus on the damage, etc.... then on to sharpening (maybe a quick tip here to keep your bevel that you've now flattened on the side of the stone centered, etc.) on thru to the final result.  With some of the "monotonous work" edited out, you now have a video full of tips, that's 10-12 mins. long.

That's the point I'm trying to make.  I don't think I'm being harsh at all.... I think they should refocus their effort on making a more educational video.

p.s.  And Ken just for you (well Tormek too)... how about a quick trip down memory lane?

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=2102.0

Hopefully, I've made my point?   :-\
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Elden

Not having looked at the video until the recent above discussion, I believe the video is well done. True it would be easier understood by one somewhat familiar with the general process of knife sharpening. I obviously am not one who has delved into the intracacies of the fine art of knife sharpening like Wootz, CB, Grepper etc., but it made good sense to me. I also feel it showed enough that with a little research, a beginner can decipher what is happening.
   Thank you Tormek.
Elden

GeoTech

My nephew just gave me a cleaver with 2 large gouges in the blade. I want to try to repair. What about grinding/reshaping the edge by grinding the edge with the face of the grind stone not the side of the stone?

cbwx34

Quote from: GeoTech on March 13, 2019, 12:20:09 AM
My nephew just gave me a cleaver with 2 large gouges in the blade. I want to try to repair. What about grinding/reshaping the edge by grinding the edge with the face of the grind stone not the side of the stone?

That's what I would do.  I do most repairs simply by sharpening, but at a much higher angle.  A cleaver may present some challenges, depending on how you sharpen (jig/freehand), and the actual damage... but with a bit of practice you can freehand the blade on the face of the stone, at a high angle... (almost 90° in some cases), and grind out the damage and/or reshape the blade as needed.  I move it across the stone, similar to how it will be sharpened.  Once the damage is gone, then lower the angle and sharpen in a new edge.

Ken S

I would use a similar method to CB. Before starting I would lightly true the wheel to grade it for its maximum sharpness. Using the vertical grinding into position, I would set the Torlock platform at a right angle to the wheel. If you don't have the Torlock platform, set the support bar (usb) very close to the grinding wheel as a platform.

No need to flip the knife over at this stage. You will be grinding it square.

You can use either the Torlock platform or the support bar as a support rest when you regrind the bevels.

Ken

GeoTech

Ken, I do have a Torlock platform and that is how I planned to do it. Thanks guys.

cbwx34

SteveB has a short clip on making a tip repair on the face of the wheel...

https://youtu.be/xYrlJizVGbQ