News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Another Way to Assess Sharpness

Started by John_B, March 11, 2019, 10:14:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_B

Today I saw a video which demonstrated a new (to me) way of assessing sharpness. He uses the banding from off brand plastic soda bottles. He asserts that the name brands like Coke and Pepsi are a little thicker and easier to cut.

Today I was shopping and I got a bottle of Ginger Ale. I tried cutting the label and I must agree with the statement. In my brief test it was more sensitive to sharpness than magazine paper and newsprint. I keep reminding myself to look for cigarette papers but so far I have forgotten.

If anyone has a Bess tester it would be interesting to know the highest value that will easily cut the label. 
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

cbwx34

Quote from: john.jcb on March 11, 2019, 10:14:36 PM
Today I saw a video which demonstrated a new (to me) way of assessing sharpness. He uses the banding from off brand plastic soda bottles. He asserts that the name brands like Coke and Pepsi are a little thicker and easier to cut.

Today I was shopping and I got a bottle of Ginger Ale. I tried cutting the label and I must agree with the statement. In my brief test it was more sensitive to sharpness than magazine paper and newsprint. I keep reminding myself to look for cigarette papers but so far I have forgotten.

If anyone has a Bess tester it would be interesting to know the highest value that will easily cut the label.

Got a link?
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

John_B

Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

cbwx34

Quote from: john.jcb on March 11, 2019, 11:07:27 PM

Quote from: cbwx34 on March 11, 2019, 10:25:03 PMGot a link?

Here is the video I saw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNuP-IbPi8U

Cool thanks. 

You might be able to compare to some other tests in that knifegrinder's chart, to get an idea?

(Wonder how it would compare to cutting something like the thin plastic in grocery store bags)?  ???
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

John,

I watched the video. Interesting idea, just be careful not to injest any of the contents of the bottles.   :)

Here is a testing you tube by our own Steve Bottorff:

https://youtu.be/rzWdpjyDZKM

Ken