News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Older Tormek SM-250 - Questions

Started by hunter77, February 12, 2019, 04:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunter77

Hello together!

I´ve got a question - ore some questions - about an older Tormek Model, the SM-250.
It looks like an cheaper version of the SA-250.

I have the possibility to get one for an super price.

Actually, I don´t understand, how the system works, because you can´t see any shaft or driving wheel.

Has anyone an idea where to find more information about the SM-250?

My aim is to use the machine with an Japanese Water Stone Wheel Sun Tiger Grain Size 4000.

Thx for help / information,

greetings from Germany

Andi

cbwx34

Quote from: hunter77 on February 12, 2019, 04:46:38 PM
Actually, I don´t understand, how the system works, because you can´t see any shaft or driving wheel.
..l

My guess is it was made between 1981-1984 and the motor is inside the casing... if you look at the Tormek History page, you'll see the 1st "self powered" Tormek came out in 1981, but the 1st with a honing wheel came out in 1984... so the external drive wheel probably didn't come out until then.  Just a guess... you may want to write Tormek directly, and see what they say.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Hunter.

Nice old Tormek!

I agree with CB that you should contact support (support@tormek.se). Many operating changes have been made over the years. The grinding wheel is the original Tormek natural sandstone, finer grit than the later SG wheels.

Keep us posted!

Ken

jeffs55

It will be of limited use to you. Its value is as a collectors item. I would not buy it.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

cbwx34

Quote from: jeffs55 on February 12, 2019, 10:21:41 PM
It will be of limited use to you. Its value is as a collectors item. I would not buy it.

This could be true... it does look to have quite a bit of rust around the shaft... in addition, the shaft might be bigger than the hole in the current  wheels... guess it depends on what "super price" translates to... and if it could be modded to work.

It is just a motor turning a wheel though, if it runs good and is in decent shape... maybe?

bisonbladesharpening

I know this is not relevant to
Tormek, but it is to antique machines.
I acquired a Hookeye Cutlery Grinder 20 years ago at a thrift store for 15 dollars.
I have looked extensively for instructions on how to use it properly.  It uses 1 1/2 X 24 belts which
are available and the motor is designed to run towards the knife.  Any feedaback would be appreciated.
Best Wishes
Tim

cbwx34

Quote from: bisonbladesharpening on February 13, 2019, 12:08:35 AM
I know this is not relevant to
Tormek, but it is to antique machines.
I acquired a Hookeye Cutlery Grinder 20 years ago at a thrift store for 15 dollars.
I have looked extensively for instructions on how to use it properly.  It uses 1 1/2 X 24 belts which
are available and the motor is designed to run towards the knife.  Any feedaback would be appreciated.
Best Wishes
Tim

Seen the instructions?...  https://dijf55il5e0d1.cloudfront.net/pdf/KascoCorporationHookeyeKnifeSharpenerOperatingGuide.pdf

bisonbladesharpening

Thank you much for the quick response and also apologies to the host.
I did not mean to take advantage of your forum.
Best Wishes
Tim

Ken S

No apologies necessary, Tim. I"m pleased that CB was able to help.

Ken

Ken S

Quote from: jeffs55 on February 12, 2019, 10:21:41 PM

I have to disagree. Unlike a veteran SuperGrind, your SM-250 will never be as versatile as a present day model. With some clever adaptation of a couple BGM-100 units mounted on a wood base, you can get close. You may be pleasantly surprised.

I think it might work well with a 4000 grit wheel, especially for carving tools.

I would recommend not making major permanent modifications. After all, it is a very nice antique tool. If you get it cleaned and working well as is, it will probably be worth more than you pay for it.

A special request: If, by chance, you happen to get the original instructions with it, would you please scan them and email me the scans. I collect old Tormek instructions. Let me know, and I will pm my email address to you.

Do keep us posted.

Ken

bisonbladesharpening

Thank You Ken and I hope that you know how much that
the information that is provided through this forum has helped
journeymen like myself.  The guidance that is shared by
the experts in the field is
invaluable and much appreciated.
Much thanks to all of you
Tim

Ken S

Thanks for your kind words, Tim. One of my life philosophies is that we learn best by sharing our knowledge. I post a lot, however, I have learned more than I have shared.

Ken

hunter77

ehh, wow, guys / gentlemen,

thx for so much participation and helps to my topic!

i already ordered the veteran machine to use it with the fine suntiger stone, i'll offer pictures by time.

a second machine i was thinking about to buy was a sa-250 and i wanted to replace the main shaft with the new quicklock one and the rubber polishing wheel with a leathered one.

but now, i've seen, that there are special offers for the new t4 for about 300€.  ::)

i think, that's a good plan for right now, at least my actual question:
when i grind knifes first on the rough 200mm diameter stone on the t4 and polish it with the 250mm stone on the old sm-250, do you think that will work or will there be problems because of the different microscopic bow in the grinding area of the blade?

thx for your opinion and have a nice day!

greetz from germany
andi

cbwx34

Quote from: hunter77 on February 13, 2019, 07:39:44 AM
i think, that's a good plan for right now, at least my actual question:
when i grind knifes first on the rough 200mm diameter stone on the t4 and polish it with the 250mm stone on the old sm-250, do you think that will work or will there be problems because of the different microscopic bow in the grinding area of the blade?

thx for your opinion and have a nice day!

greetz from germany
andi

Haven't tested this specifically... but my opinion, it won't matter... at least not enough that you can't deal with it by a slight angle adjustment.  For comparison, some sharpeners of woodworking tools grind an initial bevel on the Tormek, then finish on a flat stone.  Just depends on what your goal is.

hunter77

...today the sm-250 arrived.
i tested it with my very most destroyed kitchen knife.

it went quite perfect...