News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

ice cold Tormek

Started by Rem, February 21, 2019, 09:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rem

Howdy, boys.  Would anyone care to comment on storing my T-8 in sub-freezing temperature for a month or two?    I would not be using it at all, just storing.  By the time I get back to it, temps would be above freezing.   I don't know if freezing would cause any damage.  Thanks very much.    Rem, from the frozen north of Canada, where -10 is considered pleasant.   

cbwx34

Quote from: Rem on February 21, 2019, 09:58:34 PM
Howdy, boys.  Would anyone care to comment on storing my T-8 in sub-freezing temperature for a month or two?    I would not be using it at all, just storing.  By the time I get back to it, temps would be above freezing.   I don't know if freezing would cause any damage.  Thanks very much.    Rem, from the frozen north of Canada, where -10 is considered pleasant.

I don't know... here's an old thread from SteveB that may offer some insight...

Tale of a frozen Tormek

... and an Instagram post of a wheel that froze the water as it absorbed it...

Instagram post

... cold stuff! 😱  (I would think if no water was in the wheel, parts, etc. it would be OK?)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

jeffs55

In my opinion cold should not hurt anything. Do not put the wheel in that same environment with even a drop of water in it. Water freezes and would most likely crack the wheel. Do not use antifreeze on the wheel either. Keep it indoors.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Ken S

Rem,

I passed your question along to Stig. His territory includes Canada and formerly included Finland. Here is his reply:

"There are no tests done for this, so I have no answer to give.
My concern is the bearings in the motor. If the grease expands it might be bad.
But to be honest, I don't know."

Ken

ps Sargent Preston would have put the Tormek next to Rex at night and saved the day.....

Steelhead58

I can't see it being a problem as long as the stone is bone dry.
Terry

cbwx34

Every time I see the thread title... I want a beer. 

Rem

OK, thanks boys.   I think I'll keep it warm.   Not a big deal.   And that ice cold beer will start looking really good in about ....  uh .... three more months.   We spent the winter living off-grid and care-taking some property for friends on Kluane Lake.   Interesting.  Wood heat only, diesel generator, propane hot water.   Gorgeous spot.   But we're too damn old for this lifestyle and 140 miles from a hospital.  Which I needed once when my log splitter went rogue and nipped the end of my finger off.   Oh well, tough noogies.    Anybody want to buy a banjo ....  or four?  No more picking for me.   One last question ....  which way do I turn the knob on the leather honing wheel to remove it?    DUH.   It's very tight and I don't want to screw it up.    Thanks again for the responses.   Will find a warm place for it while we're moving back into Whitehorse.    RR

cbwx34

Quote from: Rem on February 24, 2019, 05:32:53 PM
One last question ....  which way do I turn the knob on the leather honing wheel to remove it?    DUH.   It's very tight and I don't want to screw it up.

It's removed the "regular" way... counterclockwise.

Rem

Thankee kindly.   I'll go get my pipe wrench and get after it ...  KIDDING >>>>>>>    I hope.   Thanks.   RR

Ken S

Rem

Sorry to hear about the demise of your banjo playing.

It doesn't allpy to you and your T8, however, the first upgrade I did with my T4 was to replace the standard nut on the leather honing wheel with the quick release which is standard on the T8.

Ken

Rem

The standard "reverse thread" nut on the grinding stone will work on the honing wheel /    ???     I'll have a look, thanks.   RR

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on February 24, 2019, 06:32:53 PM
It doesn't allpy to you and your T8, however, the first upgrade I did with my T4 was to replace the standard nut on the leather honing wheel with the quick release which is standard on the T8.

Ken

Quote from: Rem on February 24, 2019, 07:17:59 PM
The standard "reverse thread" nut on the grinding stone will work on the honing wheel /    ???     I'll have a look, thanks.   RR

That's not what he meant... the T-4 honing wheel is held on by a standard nut... he replaces that with the black "locking knob" that is already on the T8... none of which matters in this case.  ::)

Ken S

I meant the black plastic locking knob, which is standard on the T8. It was originally introduced as an optional accessory years ago when Tormek introduced an optional rubber abrasive wheel which could be interchanged with the leather honing wheel. Tormek called the optional locking knob the "quickchange connection". I like the term. I remove the leather honing wheel whenever I clean the T4 to clean off any honing compound left behind the leather honing wheel.

In my opinion, Tormek may have felt substituting the quick connect and the EZYlock for a plastic connection were two good ways to help meet a price point for the T4. I am the exception; for most users, the compromises present no problems.

Ken