News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Stone removal

Started by Steelhead58, January 27, 2019, 12:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

Quote from: Steelhead58 on February 17, 2019, 07:04:18 PM
An update on my new Tormek T 8
Since the wheel was stuck on my unit and I had a really hard time removing the stone I have had no issues.
I applied a coating of waterproof grease on the threads and to the back of the easy loc .
I don't know what the problem was but it operated fine now.
Maybe a burr on the threads but I don't really know.
Since that one incident everything has been working perfectly.
Terry

Good to know... thanks for the update!
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

I have been corresponding with support regarding the EZYlock not releasing. I have not been able to locate a smoking gun, however, a couple possible candidates have arisen which, I believe, deserve further study:

I have been leaving the EZYlock loose and letting the motor do the final tightening. I thought this was the preferred Tormek tightening, however, recent correspondence seems to indicate hand tightening until the EZYlock and the wheel just touch as preferable.Allowing the motor to do more may have created too much torque.

The second thing support mentioned was possible galling of the stainlesssteel. I gather stainless is prone to galling. Support thought that using the ACC ((Anti Corrosion Compound) would serve as a helpful lubricant. Members have reported using grease with good results. We might be able to tune this slightly better by substituting a grease based antiseize compound lubricant for stainless steel to minimize galling.

While I do not believe EZYlock seizing is a major problem, it does seem to be an occasional problem. I am in favor of moderate measures designed to lessen the problem.

Ken

Twisted Trees

I use a lot of hard machine wax in my workshop, protecting bandsaw tables and the like, as it is there I also tend to use it on cool running threads as a corrosion prevention that dries hard and not sticky. It works, and is in the workshop already.

Ken S

Interesting, practical thought. Well done!

Ken

RickKrung

Quote from: Twisted Trees on March 02, 2019, 03:01:35 PM
I use a lot of hard machine wax in my workshop, protecting bandsaw tables and the like, as it is there I also tend to use it on cool running threads as a corrosion prevention that dries hard and not sticky. It works, and is in the workshop already.

What type/brand of wax do you use on your tools?  I've used wax also, Mother's "California Gold" Carnauba wax on the tables of my tools (bandsaw, sanders, table saw), until recently.  I've been getting into woodworking more lately and following some woodworking forums.  There I learned to NOT use any wax that has petroleum products in it, which Mother's does.  According to these forums, the wax to use is Johnson's Paste Wax.  I do not know how much, if any, Carnauba wax it contains, but at least is supposedly does not have petroleum products in it (I don't have any yet).  SDS sheet is not very informative...  Cannot tell if it contains ANY Carnauba.

As I was first reading this, I wondered about using one of the dry lubes, like Tri-Flo.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Twisted Trees

I use this one:-

https://www.liberon.co.uk/product/lubricating-wax/

Principle uses are the cast iron table on the bandsaw and the cast aluminium router table although it doesn't rust as such this wax stops resin or other sticky build up as well as allowing my home made jigs move more smoothly in the guides.

Like I said, its already in the workshop, provides anti corrosion and is dry so sawdust doesn't stick and build up. 

Got to say I don't really know what is in it, but it works well.

RickKrung

Quote from: Twisted Trees on March 04, 2019, 01:29:55 AM
I use this one:-

https://www.liberon.co.uk/product/lubricating-wax/

...snip...

That looks like the brand of the 0000 steel wool I use for finishing bamboo fly rods.  It is important to not have any oils in the steel wool and this is one brand that does not.  I wasn't able to bring up any suppliers in the USA from their web site.  I believe I got the steel wool from Woodcrafters, in Portland, OR, USA.  I'll have to look next time I'm back there. 

Rick

Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.