News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

How about new type of the Tormek?

Started by Sharpco, January 03, 2019, 02:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharpco

I believe Tormek is world best 'small' vertical wheel sharpener. I've used T8 for 2 years. It's high quality and robust machine.

Yes, I love it. But now I hope new type of Tormek. Because freehand knife sharpening is very difficult with vertical wheel sharpener like Tormek.

Jig? The SVM-45 is well made but isn't perfect.(self centering, curved edge...)

You can see the horizontal wheel sharpener in attached photo. What if the new Tormek is made like this?

Ken S

Do an online search for "horizontal wet grinders". They are already available. I have no experience with them. I can see where keeping a horizontal wheel true could be problematic. (That's why Tormek has traditionally recommended only using the side of the Original wheels for flattening chisel backs; there is no way to easily true the side of the wheel.)

I can also see where the difference in surface feet per minute with the side of a wheel might present possible constraints.

I think we may see a more sophisticated, self centering knife jig from Tormek at some point. We may not like the price, although I have no doubt that it will work well. (This is just my gut feeling, not insider knowledge.)

If you are sharpening a knife with a high enough fee to justify a high level of precision, why not try sharpening just one bevel and then remounting the knife in the jig to sharpen the other bevel? While not exactly self centering, this would give balanced grinding.

Ken