News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Extended support bar

Started by Bloodnut, November 17, 2018, 11:28:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloodnut

Hi guys,
Long time lurker here, have never posted or commented here, great info, I've been knife sharpening for some years now, Ive had my torment for a long time & have found it faultless, I'm in Australia & would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction to purchase the us400 extended mount bar.
Thanks in advance
Kurt

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Kurt.

I have three suggestions for you: First, check with your dealer or the Australian Tormek agent. Second, check with our forum member Wootz (Knife Grinders in the Sydney area). He has used a US-400 for a long time. If neither of these pan out, email sharpeningmadeeasy.com in the US. Steve Bottorff, the owner, procured around twenty for a number of us. However, that supply is long gone, and I don't know if Tormek has any stock left.

Good luck, and do keep us posted.

Ken

Hogdog6

I too would be interested in finding an extended bar. Let us know if you are able to obtain one and I'll do the same. I'm in the U.S. and will start searching.

Bloodnut

Ken S

Steve Bottorff (sharpeningmadeeasy.com) persisted and ordered the batch of twenty US-400 extended support bars that several of us are now using. These sold out immediately. I believe they were part of a batch of three hundred that Tormek reissued. I don't know what happened to the rest. Steve guessed at what the price might be at $80US. All of us were very willing to pay that price. Steve set the final price at $48, close to the cost of the standard issue US-105 support bar, a real credit to Steve's fine character.

A similar extended support bar is available from forum member, Robin Bailey. Here is a link:

https://www.sharpening-training.co.uk/ourshop/prod_6129672-Tormek-Extended-Universal-Support-Bar.html

The photo shows that it is both longer and taller than the standard Tormel version. The longest knife I sharp en is my 8 inch (200mm) chef's knife, so I have not used the extended length. The extra height is just the ticket for my favorite Chinese cleaver. The legs are not threaded for a microadjust. In actual use, I have not found that to be a problem. Those of us in the land of "free shipping" may be in for a shock with shipping costs from the UK, however, in my opinion, Robin's extended bar is well worth the total cost.

My advice when new small product run items appear is do not hesitate. By the time we finish a thorough analysis, the product may no longer be available.

Ken

https://www.sharpening-training.co.uk/ourshop/prod_6129672-Tormek-Extended-Universal-Support-Bar.html