News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

ax jig

Started by Ken S, January 07, 2019, 03:00:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I purchased my first Tormek (T7) in mid 2009. Being an early on Tormek junkie, I soon purchased almost all of the jigs and accessories, taking advantage of the 20% discount at woodworking shows. The only two jigs I did not purchase were the moulding knife attachment and the ax jig. As I have neither moulding knives nor axes, I did not feel deprived.

For the record, in hindsight, I do not recommend acquiring Tormek gear this way. I did not begin using my wood lathe until last year. By then, almost of the jigs had been redesigned.

I have occasionally flirted with the ax jig. Last week I made a successful offer on one. For better or worse, wiser or more foolish, I now have an ax jig. I have no complaints with the ax jig, however, I suspect mine will get very little if any use. Old Tormek junkie habits do not quickly change.

Ken

GKC

I am a shop rat and a tool junkie, with sub-obsessions in jigs and sharpening, so for years I kept a safe distance from Tormek out of self-preservation.  But my dealer hooked me by telling me I could try "just a little" by getting the BGM-100 for my bench grinder.  You all know how stories like this end: soon I was a goner, and loving it.

My axe jig won't get much use either, because most of my axes are easy to sharpen accurately (enough) on the belt grinder.  But it should allow a greater level of precision for carving axes.  Or at least this is how I rationalized the purchase.  I smuggled it past my wife into the basement, where I keep my stash.

Gord