News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SuperGrind...What Parts Should I Replace?

Started by darita, November 06, 2018, 08:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darita

I took apart my SuperGrind 2005 to inspect, clean and possibly replace the drive shaft, drive wheel and what ever other parts need replacing.  I cleaned up lots of rust and pitting.  Also, I'm a little concerned about the breakdown of the SG250 bushing.  The strop wheel has some very fine "fractures" or stress marks near the center as well and I"m not sure if I should be concerned about those?  Please take a look at the pics and tell me what you think.

Ken S

Derek,

If you clean up the rusted areas; clean/regrease the nylon bushings; lightly sand the rubber drive wheel; and reassemble your Tormek, how well will it work? If it works properly, your question becomes which parts do you WANT to replace, rather than which parts need to be replaced.

Unlike a high speed grinder, a grinding wheel which cracks will not become dangerous flying schrapnel. Parts are readily available. If your budget is tight, you may already be "good to go". If your budget is not so tight and you want to do a solid restoration, I would recommend replacing the drive wheel and the shaft. (The EZYlock includes new nylon bushings.) A replacement grinding wheel is expensive enough to qualify for free shipping. I would see how your Tormek works with the new shaft. If the wheel wobbles, add a new grinding wheel. If your support bar does not have a microadjust, I would order a new support bar.

Keep us posted.

Ken

darita

Wonder why there are no stainless washers and nuts available as well?  I hate that parts that will rust are subjected to water.  The shaft I will replace for sure.  I have the updated micro adjust support, diamond dresser and the SE77, so I'm OK there.

Ken S

The EZYlock kit comes with nylon bushings and stainless steel shaft, stainless EZYlock and stainless spacer washer (goes on behind the grinding wheel). This gives you all new stainless hardware for the "wet" side (the grinding wheel side). The drive wheel/leather honing wheel side is the "dry side". Tormek does not include new hardware because that end is dry. Reusing the original non stainless hardware on the dry side should work fine.

The EZYlock kit and a new drive wheel should make your 2005 "Bristol fashion" for many years.

Ken

EDIT

"non stainless" means regular steel. That end of the shaft stays dry and does not rust.

darita

Quote from: Ken S on November 08, 2018, 02:14:08 AM
The EZYlock kit comes with nylon bushings and stainless steel shaft, stainless EZYlock and stainless spacer washer (goes on behind the grinding wheel). This gives you all new stainless hardware for the "wet" side (the grinding wheel side). The drive wheel/leather honing wheel side is the "dry side". Tormek does not include new hardware because that end is dry. Reusing the original non stainless hardware on the dry side should work fine.

The EZYlock kit and a new drive wheel should make your 2005 "Bristol fashion" for many years.

Ken
Thanks Ken.  I didn't know the washers and nut were stainless.  That's perfect.  Can't wait to get it.

Ken S

Sorry....I mistyped. The original dry side washer, pin and nut are NOT stainless steel. That side stays dry; there is no need for stainless.

Ken