News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SVM knife jigs with paper wheels

Started by RichColvin, October 03, 2018, 12:57:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichColvin

So I'd like to use the SVM knife jigs with Steve Bottorff's paper wheels.  Rather than trying to rig up something crazy, I'm thinking of a modified USB.  Here are my first thoughts.  Interested in feedback.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

RickKrung

I too am interested in this sort of arrangement to use the knife jigs with paper and felt wheels.  The modified USB that you show, Rich, looks like it will work well enough.  It looks to be very much like the setup that Wootz uses for paper wheels.  In both cases, the USB has a fixed distance from the wheels where angles are set by changing the vertical position of the USB.  In Wootz's case, the USB for each wheel can be set to different heights. 

Last spring I got a Rikon 6" buffer that I plan on using.  I have a 10" rock hard felt wheel and an 8" slotted paper wheel but have not set anything up yet.  I was doing well, I thought with getting my Rikon bench grinder set up with the BGMs.  I just received two more BGM-100s which I plan to use with the paper/felt wheels.  I also plan on making FVBs for each wheel so the distance can be varied as well has the height.  I'm not sure how important that is, as the paper/felt wheel usage differs from the USB/FVBs on my 8" Rikon bench grinder. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

wootz

Rich, paper wheels do change their diameter with use, and for this reason you better have a separate support for each wheel, not a single for both as on your drawing.
We experimented with the support distance to the wheel and height, and the best setup is described on our website
http://knifegrinders.com.au/11Shop_PWsupport.htm

But my solution is not the best space saving. One of our customers in Sweden sent us a photo of his home-made support for paper wheels that requires less room - he sets the honing angle on it using our applet for paper wheels:

As you can see, his support utilises the Tormek BGM-100.