News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

BGM-100 questions

Started by Ken S, September 23, 2018, 04:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

For several years I have resisted setting up my dry grinder with the BGM-100. I have several reasons for this. My dry grinder is a six inch high speed model. According to the Tormek instructions, this should work. To be kind, I would say that it does not seem an ideal set up.

Until quite recently, I had no use for the dry grinder with Tormek jigs. That is changing a little as I have recently started woodturning. I have successfully done some reshaping with Norton 3X, CBN, and, most recently, the new Tormek diamond wheels. It can be done, although not with as much lightning speed as some would like. I still don't have enough need to purchase and tool up a lower speed eight inch dry grinder, however, if it would be effective, I would consider redoing my present high speed six inch dry grinder to include a BGM or two on the baseboard. I presently have a 3X 46 grit wheel and an 80grit white wheel on my dry grinder.

My first question is: Have any of the hooked up a similar six inch grinder with the BGM-100? If so, how well has it worked?

My second question concerns the OWC adaptor to adapt Tormek jigs to the Oneway Wolverine system. I presently have the OWC adaptor, although not the Wolverine kit. The OWC seems more versatile to me than the BGM. Does anyone have experience with it?

I still have misgivings about using my dry grinder. I am quite content with the water cooled, dust free Tormek environment. 3x, my 180 grit CBN wheel and the DWC-200 Tormek diamond wheel give my T4 plenty of firepower. My 80 and 180 grit CBN wheels and Tormek DC-250 diamond wheels provide plenty of firepower for my T7/8. The only constraint is that reshaping takes several minutes, instead of less than a minute. We live in fast times.

Ken

RichColvin

Ken,

As you are probably aware, I use the BGM-100 on a high-speed 8" grinder, but I think a 6" one would work fine for what I do with it. 

• I do gross reshaping on that grinder as it is much faster.  That said, I only reshape a tool when it's new (to get the profile I like), or if the edge is badly damaged / nicked.
  • I sharpen (and shape) carbide & cemented carbide tool's on that grinder also.
As for the Wolverine attachment, I've not seen the need :  I use the Std Tormek jigs on the BGM-100.  No problems to date. 

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Thanks, Rich.

I am thinking that with the small amount of use I project, the BGM-100 would be more than adequate. I only plan to use the dry grinder for occasional coarse work. The final work would still be done with my Tormek.

Ken