News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

the value of multiple watchings/readings

Started by Ken S, August 18, 2018, 02:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

We had a discussion on the forum a while back. The issue was the comparative value of video learning and instructor led learning. (For the record, my vote was firmly "D, all of the above".)

As part of my learning process to master sharpening and using the Alan Lacer skew, I have watched several youtubes and Alan Lacer's DVD more than once. My mind seems to absorb only so much on the initial viewing.With all due respect to good instructors, I rarely have the opportunity of repeating the class once the basics have settled in.

Last night I watched the Alan Lacer Skew video for the third time. I continue learning more about the different cuts. My understanding of his sharpening method is becoming more honed (and how I can duplicate it using the Tormek). For the first time, I noticed a comment he made and demonstrated. He said to always part off at the headstock end, because, separated from the power, the parted piece stops turning. That seems logical; I had just not thought of it before.

I have much to learn on this journey.

Ken

RichColvin

Ken,

I think you're right.   I also find that when I try what's in the video, it reinforces the learning ... but watching it again helps show me something new to try. 

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Good point, Rich. I agree.

I am finding with the skew that there are so many cuts that it can do, I learn better to concentrate on one at a time, concentrating on that cut until I feel comfortable moving on. I actually think that is quicker in the long run. I feel no pressure to complete any project by next Tuesday.

Ken

RickKrung

Quote from: Ken S on August 19, 2018, 04:20:45 AM
...snip...
I feel no pressure to complete any project by next Tuesday.

Ken

Ah, but I will gladly pay you next Tuesday, for a hamburger today....   :P
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.