News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

US400 Extended Universal support

Started by stevebot, October 27, 2017, 04:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Quote from: cbwx34 on November 21, 2017, 03:20:35 PM
Quote from: Ken S on November 21, 2017, 07:23:02 AM
ps For the record, I will be mailing Steve a check for full price for my order.

Had to look up the definition of a "check"....  ;)

I reread the entire thread (an interesting read). CB, you get the best humor award for your check line!

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on February 23, 2018, 01:51:45 AM
Quote from: cbwx34 on November 21, 2017, 03:20:35 PM
Quote from: Ken S on November 21, 2017, 07:23:02 AM
ps For the record, I will be mailing Steve a check for full price for my order.

Had to look up the definition of a "check"....  ;)

I reread the entire thread (an interesting read). CB, you get the best humor award for your check line!

Ken

I try....   ;D

One thing I've pondered... what happened to the T-4000?   It is certainly more ideal (idealer?) as a knife sharpener... more distance between wheels, vertical USB on both sides, longer USB.... etc.   With a few additions ;)... would be a better platform for knife sharpening... especially the commercial route.

Where'd it go?  ???
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Good questions, CB. As a Tormek user also interested in the development of the Tormek, I ,too, am curious.

I receiced an email yesterday evening that my US-400 was shipped, as were several others. Shipping from Affinity Tool in Michigan, I should receive my package by Monday or perhaps Tuesday. I will post again when it arrives.

Ken

Ken S

I received notification that my US-400 had shipped just before I received notice that Rick had shipped me a package from Washington State. I thought both would arrive yesterday. Rick's package from Washington State did arrive yesterday. (Thank you, Rick.) My US-400 has still not arrived. Usually the distance between Michigan and Ohio is shorter than from Washington State to Ohio.

Ken

Ken S

Success!!! My US-400 arrived today. I notice it has the end safety stop internal threads, like the regular US-105. The one vertical leg is threaded, however, the unit does not come with a microadjust nut. I happen to have a spare from one of my experiments which did not work well, and I am certain most of us have at least ont microadjust on hand.

Iwill put it on my "to test" list.

Ken

cbwx34

I finally received the US-400 today.  As opposed to being shipped FedEx... mine was apparently shipped PEG (Pony Express Gradual) ;) ...

Here's the delivery vehicle parked in front of the house...

... items were "well packed", as only one support post was able to protrude ::) ...

...but, no harm no foul I guess. 

I was able to set up the USB with a template I now have for the height (setup described HERE)...

... that seems to be working well.

Honestly not understanding why they didn't come with the MicroAdjust nut.  All the others do... not sure why this is the exception.  :-\

At any rate, I'm giving Affinity Tool a 👎  for the deal... mainly for the apparent unnecessary delay, the misinformation I was given when I called, (and a bit for the packing).  >:(  (I think the MicroAdjust nut should have been included too... although not sure that's their fault).  I write this so hopefully, they'll fix whatever went wrong, and get back to 👍

But hey, they beat the Android 8.0 update....  :o

Hope others get (or have gotten) theirs soon!  :D

Ken S

CB,

The graduated tube in your last photo is intriguing. I assume you use it to set the Distance between the usb and the grinding wheel.Is it a full round tube or half a tube? How do you use it?

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on March 03, 2018, 08:23:32 AM
CB,

The graduated tube in your last photo is intriguing. I assume you use it to set the Distance between the usb and the grinding wheel.Is it a full round tube or half a tube? How do you use it?

Ken

It's not a tube... just a bad picture.  :-\  I mark a piece of scotch tape, and just tape it on the USB upright, to show the distance which corresponds to wootz's Angle Calculator.  Here's a picture that shows it a little better...

... and how I use it is in that other thread... USB Height Setting Using Wootz's Applet.

jonj

I've used a Tormek since 1996 but just discovered this site a week ago. Does anyone know if the US 400 is still available since there were a limited number imported? Thanks.

Ken S

Hi, Jon.

Welcome to the forum.

Steve Bottorff (sharpeningmadeeasy.com) is the dealer who set up the deal in the US. I recently heard from him that had sold all he had ordered. I suggest you email Steve.

Supposedly, fifty were found in a warehouse in Sweden several months ago. I would suggest you also contact Tormek support (support@tormek.se) and your national importer. In the US, that is Affinity Tool.  Between the three sources, you should be able to find one.

You have been a Tormek user for twenty two years. As you read forum posts, you will find a number of new members who recently purchased SuperGrinds. Your experience would be invaluable to them in helping them get up amd running. I hope you will continue to post.

Ken

stevebot

We have sold all the US400 we were able to get, and even have had to turn down a few requests.  I have asked the US distributor, Affinity tool, to see about getting more, but have had no response.
Steve Bottorff; author, teacher and consultant on knife and scissor sharpening.

Ken S

I have been surprised how useful the US-400 has proved to be.....Maybe Tormek should consider making making another batch.........

Ken