News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

knife clamping

Started by hunter, August 05, 2018, 11:56:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunter

I have a Question for clamping my Knife.

Excuise my English and my Handdrawing.

I bought a T4 Bushcraft Edition with the SV 45 Tool for clamp the Knifes.

The Red in the Picture is the SV 45 and the Blue my Knife.

The Knife has no straight Blade,so how can i clamp the Knife that the Angle

Left and Right are the Same?

Best Regards.

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Hunter.

Our knife people must be on vacation. Wootz, our Australian knife sharpener, uses a technique which might be adapted to help you. Wootz uses thick tape to prevent any scratching from the jig. I used several thicknesses of gaffer tape to level up my metal lathe stand so that the top would fit flush.
You could try placing a strip or two of tape just along the thinner part of the knife blade to help make it parallel.

Do you have to sharpen many tapered knives like this?

Keep posting.

Ken

hunter

Hi Ken,thanks for your Answer.

Yes i have 3 of them,2 Linder Super Edge and 1 Puma Knife.

The Blade Form is for the SV 45 not Ideal to clamp.

Before the Tormek,i use a Lansky whit the same clamping Problem.

I think when i use small Plastik Stripes between the Blade and the SV Tool,i can clamp the knife but it is not 100%
to have the parallel Angle.

Best Regards.

Ken S

Hi, Hunter.

I think the T4 Bushcraft was the best deal ever for a new Tormek. I have had my T4 ever since they were introduced in 2014. I really like it.

I have only sharpened kitchen knives and very basic pocket knives. Very tapered blades are at the extreme edge of the Tormek knife jigs. If your knives are small enough, you might try using the 00 small knife blade holder. It clamps small knives by the handle rather than the blade. I think it is really designed for small carving knives with substantial wooden handles. I am not familiar with your knives. They might work better in the small blade holder.

If not, using thin strips of thick tape might make the blade seem more parallel to the jig.

Keep us posted.

Ken

cbwx34

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

hunter

Hi cbwx,thanks for the Links.

It is an good Idea to use Shims to fill the Space between the Knife and the SV 45.

Same Shims on both Side,same Angle. ;)