News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Multi Base-100

Started by Ken S, August 03, 2018, 02:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan

Yes CB, sharpie is sufficient. My solution is attached.

Ken, setting the wheel diameter to 200 mm on the WM-200 has in this case no implications towards wheels with 200 mm diameter. The modification will work on all flat surfaces, both vertical and horizontal. WM-200 can be used as a simple angle finder also.

Jan

marie

Quote from: Ken S on August 09, 2018, 01:21:24 PM
Hi, Marie.

I am pleased to see you posting. This must be an exciting time for the Tormek Marketing Department. Even if the new diamond wheels had only the traditional edge cutting capability, they would be a major innovation. The ability of doing controlled flat grinding on the side will open up whole new potential sharpening options for Tormek users. I look forward to studying both much forum conversaton and instructional support from Tormek.

In my opinion, the Anglemaster designation is a very minor issue. What I do find important is that Tormek has provided the users with the modified scale to accurately use the Anglemaster with side grinding. The addition of the modified side grinding scale will do much to aid user proficiency and satisfaction with the Multi Base and diamond wheels.

kind regards,

Ken

It is! Rather busy as well, we have great things ahead of us!  :)
Doing my best to stay updated on the conversations here at the forum, I now realize that I have some reading to do. You guys have been active during my summer holiday, great to see!

Kind regards,
Marie - Marketing Manager

cbwx34

Quote from: Jan on August 09, 2018, 03:40:28 PM

Ken, setting the wheel diameter to 200 mm on the WM-200 has in this case no implications towards wheels with 200 mm diameter. The modification will work on all flat surfaces, both vertical and horizontal. WM-200 can be used as a simple angle finder also.

Jan

Yup....it's how I've used it to measure the angle of the taper of a knife grind from spine to the edge... (it's how I knew about the 18° calculation)...to adjust setting the angle on the Anglemaster.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Jan

Yes CB, the angle measurements with WM-200 can be done with respect to cylindrical surface of the stone or with respect to a flat base.

Jan

Ken S

Jan

Jan,

Your solution is well conceived and well drawn. I like it. Now.....if Tormek will just add a set of three new 200mm diamond wheels......:)        :)

Ken

Ken S

Quote from: cbwx34 on August 09, 2018, 04:53:16 PM

Jan

CB and Jan,

I should have met you when I was younger and both brain cells were functioning simultaneously. Good thinking!

Ken

Yup....it's how I've used it to measure the angle of the taper of a knife grind from spine to the edge... (it's how I knew about the 18° calculation)...to adjust setting the angle on the Anglemaster.

Ken S

It is! Rather busy as well, we have great things ahead of us!  :)
Doing my best to stay updated on the conversations here at the forum, I now realize that I have some reading to do. You guys have been active during my summer holiday, great to see!

Kind regards,
Marie - Marketing Manager
[/quote]

Marie,

If the forum members were not on active duty throughout the summer, you fortunate Swedes would not be able to enjoy your long summer holidays.       :)

Ken

Jan

Quote from: Ken S on August 09, 2018, 07:59:44 PM

CB and Jan,

I should have met you when I was younger and both brain cells were functioning simultaneously. Good thinking!

Ken

Ken, reading you abundant posts on two sharpening forums I have no doubts about your "little grey cells".  :)

Jan

P.S.: Your note concerning simultaneous function of brain hemispheres reminded me the déjà vu phenomenon studied by my colleague from local Uni. One theory explains déjà vu by the fact that incoming signals from each hemisphere may not be synchronised properly (some milliseconds delay) and are therefore processed as two separate experiences, with the second seeming to be re-living the first.  ;)

Ken S

Jan,

I am fascinated with how we learn, particularly how a not directly related idea may help develop another.

With my latest Lacer skew project, my original objective was making the skew chisel fit in the Multi Jig's closed seat. I had a lot of difficulty grinding the combined straight and radiused shape with the Multi Jig.

I remembered watching an experienced Tormek demonstrator fumbling with sharpening a very small cut off tool with the Multi Jig. The cut off tool was just too small for the jig. As a first time presenter, I was reluctant to offer suggestions. I would have just set the tool on the support bar and "freehand" sharpened it in just a few seconds. That thought inspired me to try shaping the skew using the support bar at a right angle with the support bar and sharpening it using the platform jig. I am sure the skew experience will someday help other sharpening.

Life would be less interesting if we were not continually learning.

Keep learning.

Ken