News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SVS 50 differences

Started by JJanssen, November 20, 2018, 06:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJanssen

Today I received my new SVS 50 jig. When opening the package I noticed that the jig did not look like the one on many pictures I have seen. The housing of the closed part is all aluminium (I think) and the angle indicators are cast in the housing. On most pictures I have seen the angle indicators are printed on what seems the same material as the TTS-100. To me, this seems better readable.
Now I am wondering if there has been a model update recently?  Did I receive an older model? I looked at the Tormek site but did not find any information.
I have attached pictures of both versions.

Who can tell me more about this?

Thanks from an enthusiastic novice woodturner  :)

gabecker

I received my Tormek about 2 months ago and mine is the die cast version. That is what is pictured on Amazon now, too.

RichColvin

Jorry,

My SVS-50 is about 20 years old, and it is die cast like your's.

By the way, I recommend you buy an extra housing and locking screw (part numbers 2200 & 7090, #1 & #6 in the drawing) so you can have one already setup as a closed seat, and another as an open seat.  (I bought mine from Advanced Machinery :  https://advanced-machinery.myshopify.com/pages/replacement-parts-for-svs-50-multi-jig ).  $27 well spent!

I continuously find this useful as I don't have swap to the open vs closed seats.  It always confused me, and took too long.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.