News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

My tormek T-8 died temporarily

Started by Fernando, July 17, 2018, 05:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fernando

My tormek T-8 went out.

The scare of the year
I have a relatively new tormek, bought more than half a year ago and with very little use, a week ago I had a good job with a restaurant to sharpen all their knives, but something happened that left me worried ... and I really do not know what the cause may be, and I want to first go to the forum to find out if anyone else has happened.

That weekend I was sharpening very normal "tramontina brand" professional kitchen knives here, my city that day had a temperature of 26 °C and after 1 and a half hours of work my T-8 machine went off by itself, I really thought worst.
I turned it off and disconnected it from the power, I checked it and I noticed that it was very hot, but the work I did was the typical sharpening of knives without effort or pressure.

I waited about 15 minutes and the machine continued not to turn on, in conclusion, I put a fan on the side of the leather wheel and finished sharpening my knives by hand, worried and at the same time annoyed by what happened.
After a couple of hours I turned the machine back on and went back to operating, but I decided to turn it off and stop working with it that day and until today I have not used it again until I was sure what happened.

I worked very quiet because when I buy my T-8 one of the reasons to buy it is because of its "Motor duty Continuous" feature.
but since I do not live in a country where Tormek has support, I really do not know what options I have to verify that it was normal. I know that the machine could be shut down for security, but correct me if I'm wrong, this should not happen even with twice as much work time

Now I have the feeling of not being able to use my equipment for more than an hour and a half for fear that the next one will be a permanent failure.
I do not know if I'm doing something wrong.

I remain attentive to your opinions and comments

Ken S

Fernando,

I am sorry you are having these problems. You should notify Tormek support immediately. Problems like yours are rare, however, when they do occur, based on forum reports, the  quickest and best resolution happens support in Sweden is involved.

Contact support (support@tormek.se) right away. Please post how your problem is resolved. Please post whether or not you are satisfied.

Ken

Fernando

I just sent mail, I'll wait for an answer to know how to proceed.

Jan

Fernando, motor overheating was already discussed on this forum. Very surprising fact is, that an idle running motor is producing more heat, than the same motor during sharpening.

It is common misconception that a Permanent-Split Capacitor motor running below its full load will run cooler and more efficiently. On the contrary, single-phase motors may become very warm at small loads or when run idle.

Why is it so? The efficiency of an idle running PSC motor drops to zero, and hence all the consumed electric power is converted to heat power. Whereas, near full load rating, the motor efficiency is greatest. The consumed power is partitioned into shaft power and the heat power. It may happen that an idle running motor generates more heat than the same motor running at full load.  ;)

Jan

Ken S

I  do not dispute Jan's expertise with electric motors. However, the motor in the T8 is an industrial motor rated for continuous duty. I cannot imagine a 26° C day causing a properly working Tormek to fail or a failure caused by running only part of a day.

I am not ruling non Tormek related problems such as low voltage. I do believe that we need the expertise of Tormek support. Whether or not the problem is Tormek related, it should be properly investigated, including a thorough inspection of Fernando's T8 by The Tormek experts.

Ken

Fernando

Quote from: Jan on July 17, 2018, 10:32:08 PM
Fernando, motor overheating was already discussed on this forum. Very surprising fact is, that an idle running motor is producing more heat, than the same motor during sharpening.

It is common misconception that a Permanent-Split Capacitor motor running below its full load will run cooler and more efficiently. On the contrary, single-phase motors may become very warm at small loads or when run idle.

Why is it so? The efficiency of an idle running PSC motor drops to zero, and hence all the consumed electric power is converted to heat power. Whereas, near full load rating, the motor efficiency is greatest. The consumed power is partitioned into shaft power and the heat power. It may happen that an idle running motor generates more heat than the same motor running at full load.  ;)

Jan

I understand the overheating, but I'm worried that the machine will turn off when I finally manage to have a large volume of knives to sharpen and have to finish sharpening by hand, when I have an excellent machine but dead.

Fernando

Quote from: Ken S on July 18, 2018, 01:09:18 AM
I  do not dispute Jan's expertise with electric motors. However, the motor in the T8 is an industrial motor rated for continuous duty. I cannot imagine a 26° C day causing a properly working Tormek to fail or a failure caused by running only part of a day.

I am not ruling non Tormek related problems such as low voltage. I do believe that we need the expertise of Tormek support. Whether or not the problem is Tormek related, it should be properly investigated, including a thorough inspection of Fernando's T8 by The Tormek experts.

Ken

I agree with you, we must rule out any problem, and send mail to tormek support.
The other problem as i mention it, is that i'm in Colombia, tormek has no support in my country :'(

Ken S

If Tormek does not have an agent in Colombia, you will probably have to deal directly with Tormek in
Sweden. You are not the only Tormek owner living in a country where Tormek does not have an agent. Tormek must have procedures for dealing with these situations; Tormek has been selling machines for over forty years.

Ken

Ken S

Fernando,

I contacted Stig directly this morning. Even though he is on vacation and, with his new assignment, no longer in charge of support, he replied quickly.

Stig suggested that your problem is probably the switch. If your Tormek, during the problem, would start if you held the switch down, that would confirm his diagnosis. Stig thought the most time efficient solution would be for Tormek to send you a new switch with instructions explaining how to install it. That sounds like the quickest solution to me.

I was a troubleshooter for the telephone company for thirty give years. My training and experience would favor replacing the switch. It will probably solve your problem. You do not want to experience intermittent trouble. Replacing the switch will eliminate the most probable culprit.

Your situation is important to us. First, we have a fellow forum member with a Tormek related problem. Second, we should all understand Tormek's service procedure for owners living in countries without a national Tormek agent.

Keep us posted.

Ken

Fernando

The answer was:

That sounds strange. Our motors have a heat protection circuit. But it should not be cut out at this short time of use. When we do our heat testing the motors takes about 1.5 -2 hrs before reaching maximum temperature. At maximum temp the motors will stay there for several hours without any problems.
Please know that the engine has free flow of air from the side and bottom of the housing. If it stops again pleas let me know.

In conclusion, I will return to work with the machine, and if it happens again, I will try to get more information, a video to measure the engine temperature at least superficial, show that the switch does not operate when it is turned off, voltage of the house etc. so that Tormek can give me more information.

cbwx34

I ran across this thread... Motor Shutting Down... thought I'd bump it up here and see if Rick found a solution?
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Fernando,

Your problem sounds like it might be either the switch or the heat overload protection. Of the two, I would guess the switch is easier to replace. I would definitely be proactive and have Tormek send you a replacement switch. Neither you nor Tormek wants your Tormek to fail a second time. Component failure can happen even with the best products.

Ken

Ken S

View Profile  Personal Message (Online)

Re: Motor Shutting Down
« Reply #9 on: Today at 02:03:07 am »
QuoteModifyRemoveSplit Topic
Here is an idea to test the power. Plug your Tormek into a three way adaptor. Plug a digital clock into one of the three plugs. (Do not install a battery in the clock.) If the Tormek shuts down and the clock starts flashing, your trouble is in the electric power. If the Tormek shuts down and the clock is unchanged, the culprit wiuld appear to be the Tormek.

Ken

Fernando

Quote from: Ken S on July 24, 2018, 02:04:14 AM

View Profile  Personal Message (Online)

Re: Motor Shutting Down
« Reply #9 on: Today at 02:03:07 am »
QuoteModifyRemoveSplit Topic
Here is an idea to test the power. Plug your Tormek into a three way adaptor. Plug a digital clock into one of the three plugs. (Do not install a battery in the clock.) If the Tormek shuts down and the clock starts flashing, your trouble is in the electric power. If the Tormek shuts down and the clock is unchanged, the culprit wiuld appear to be the Tormek.

Ken

Thanks for the data Ken.
I'm going to find a watch of these to do the test.

Ken S

Fernando,

I came across this topic this morning and wondered if your problem has reoccured. Have you taken any further steps or found anything definitive?

Please keep us posted.

Ken