News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Retired my old SB grindstone

Started by RichColvin, September 20, 2019, 10:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichColvin

Today, I was resharpening some drill bits with the DBS-22 Drill bit sharpening attachment.  My SB-250 grindstone is so worn (lovingly used down to 180 mm) that I had to take off a knob on the USB's base so the DBS-22 would not hit it.

It seems my old SB stone that has finally reached it's retirement. 

SB, thank you for the great work over many years.  RIP my old friend.  Enjoy your days with my retired SG-250 stone.

Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Rich,

Best wishes for your SB-250 in its well deserved, honorable retirement.

In its credits, please include keeping my faith alive when my SB kept glazing.

Ken

jeffs55

Could it be repurposed for a T4 by reducing its width? A lathe type setup and a TT for a cutter perhaps.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

RichColvin

It can be repurposed for a T-4 with no changes.  More details about using a worn down 250mm stone on a 200mm machine are at this page :  https://sharpeninghandbook.info/Grindstones-StoneLife.html

I looked into this, and while it is an option, it didn't merit the cost of a T-4 for me.  (I'd opt for a second 250mm machine instead.)

What is generally agreed is that, if you need a T-4 anyway (e.g., to carry it to a farmers market), then this may be a good option.

In the 17 years I've owned the T-2000, I've totally consumed only two grindstones :  One SB-250, & one SG-250.

Kind regards,
Rich
Rich Colvin

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

jeffs55

Put them on eBarf but make a note they can be used on a T4. Otherwise no one will know. They are way to heavy for paperweights or doorstops.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Ken S

Steve Bottorff used eight worn grinding wheels (a pair in each corner) as wind protection for his sharpening stand. In addition to being practical, they sent out a subliminal message that he was a very experienced sharpener.

With the water trough removed, a 250 mm SG or SB wheel will fit on the T4. It can only be used dry this was. The bore length of the T4 and T8 wheels is close enough that normally no extra spacers are needed. I can see possibilities for 250mm felt wheels used this way. I would question the added weight of the thicker stones on the T4 motor.

Incidentally, T4 wheels can work with the T8. This can be useful as some wheels such as the Norton 3X wheels are only available in 200mm diameter.

Ken

RichColvin

Well, like so many of us, my old SB stone failed at retirement.  CB from the forum reached out to me and requested both my old stones for his T-4.  I was happy to see them no longer gathering dust in my shop, and sent them to him.

As CB noted to me, "they are working like a champ".   Glad to see these stones will continue to provide many years of great service.

Kind regards,
Rich
Rich Colvin

Ken S

Well done, Rich! (and CB!) You have ventured beyond conventional Tormek thought.

Ken