News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

sharpening an abused chisel.

Started by Ken S, June 01, 2018, 05:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I have a steel reducing bushing stuck to a spacer washer. After unsuccessfully trying prnetrating oil, I tried prying with a sharp chisel. A risky proposition, which did not work, and left me with a damaged edge. It was not horribly abused, however, it will require a short trip to 220 grit to restore the sharp edge.

Chisels are my original and still favorite tools to sharpen. After all the discussion about diamon, CBN, and 3X wheels, my favorite remains the humble SG. I look forward to sharpening my chisel leisurely with my SG wheel.

Ken

RickKrung

Have you tried heat?  Differentially heat the outside part and if possible cool (ice bath) the inside part. Sometimes used to get overly snug parts together and can work to get them apart. If it is corrosion or grim holding them, the heat can break it down and get the parts to release.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

cbwx34

I think he just really wanted to sharpen a chisel. ;)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RickKrung

Quote from: cbwx34 on June 01, 2018, 10:35:19 PM
I think he just really wanted to sharpen a chisel. ;)

I knew that, but just could not leave well enough alone ;D
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

Rick,

You are spot on! I have a Milwaukee electric heat gun. It did the trick! Thanks.

CB, you may be right; I love to sharpen chisels!

Ken

Ken S

Rick,

You were spot on. My Milwaukee electric heat gun made quick work of separating the two parts.

Yes, I confess that I do enjoy sharpening chisels.  :)

Ken