News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

more efficient sharpening with the Tormek

Started by Ken S, July 06, 2018, 02:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I started a new topic because I did not want to hijack the volume attachment topic.

Tormek knife sharpening can be made more efficient in several ways. The first step in knife sharpening is to think of the Tormek as a single purpose machine designed for knife sharpening. (This new mindset in no way hinders the Tormek for other uses.) This may sound like a kenjig infomercial. It is not. The kenjig is based on Dutchman's tables and has benefitted from other ideas.

Tormek has incorporated this single purpose machine mindset into the T2. As we already possess the Tormek operating skills, we can convert our T4/7/8/SuperGrinds into efficient single purpose machines. We can pick and choose among these changes, depending on how much cost we wish to incur. These changes are in two areas: 1) jig set up and 2)the grinding wheel.

To keep this short, I will not go into detail (again) with the kenjig. It is designed to enable a farmers market sharpener to work all day with very little set up time. The kenjig is easily made in a home shop at no or negligable cost. It uses Dutchman's grinding angle PDF "software", easily downloaded or printed at no cost. I think it is an excellent companion with Wootz' (KnifeGrinders.com.au) applet.

Adding a bit more hardware, having more than one universal support bar speeds things. The diameter of the leather honing wheel remains constant. If we standardize with a single bevel angle and Projection, a second usb can be left preset. Why reset a single usb to the same setting for every knife?

For those less concerned with cost, a second Tormek opens up many possibilities.

With the Original Tormek grinding wheels which require retruing and grading, a third usb makes sense, left set for the TT-50 and stone grader or small diamond plate. If I was sharpening knives professionally, while my Original grinding wheel still had useful life, I would replace it with the new diamond 600 grit wheel. For not much more money than an SG or SB, the diamond design eliminates the need for stone retruing or grading. It also eliminates any need to compensate for stone wear with the kenjig.

I believe efficient jig set up with the kenjig and no down time for retruing and grading will make knife sharpening using the Tormek knife jigs much more efficient.

Ken

cbwx34

You left out SteveB's method... freehand.  ;)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Well noted, CB.

I have watched Steve sharpening knives. "Freehand" for Steve includes many years of experience. Not only experience, but focused experience. I doubt that level of expertise is typical of our members; I certainly do not have it.

And, in his you tube on sharpening with Tormek knife jigs, Steve states that the only way to get completely even bevels is by using the Tormek knife jigs.

My plan with the kenjig is to allow us mortals a way to approach Steve's efficiency still using the jigs.

Ken

Urfree@bellsouth.net

Scott here
I have been forum member for just a few months. Still much to learn.
Could someone please show me where to go to learn what the kenjig is
And perhaps how to construct one..

Thx

cbwx34

Quote from: Urfree@bellsouth.net on July 06, 2018, 08:12:33 PM
Scott here
I have been forum member for just a few months. Still much to learn.
Could someone please show me where to go to learn what the kenjig is
And perhaps how to construct one..

Thx

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bye-818SN85DdzB3bU9aUU81eTg/view

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=2803.0

;)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Scott,

You are at the right place! We probably have the largest group of kenjig authorities here of any on the planet.......

Ken