News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

simplifying the learning curve

Started by Ken S, June 26, 2018, 04:50:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I watch every Tormek related video I can find. I just watched a presentation video which lasted almost a half hour. It was not a bad video, however, the presenter was weak on some of the basics. I pay particular attention to things like using the truing tool. I feel very proficient with the truing tool. I do not mean to brag. This proficiency did not come from natural talent; it came from having to work  through difficulties and focused practice. It has been an ongoing decision to do it right which has eventually become habit.

The TT-50 Truing Tool is not difficult to use. Correct use is essentially a matter of locking it into position, controlling the depth of cut (think several shallow passes), and controlling the cross stone speed. In this case, the presenter was taking a deep cut while extoling the virtues of light cuts.

It's late. I will continue with this tomorrow. In my opinion, the learning curve gets much longer if one does not bother to master several very basic things at the start.

Ken

Fernando

Quote from: Ken S on June 26, 2018, 04:50:16 AM
I watch every Tormek related video I can find. I just watched a presentation video which lasted almost a half hour. It was not a bad video, however, the presenter was weak on some of the basics. I pay particular attention to things like using the truing tool. I feel very proficient with the truing tool. I do not mean to brag. This proficiency did not come from natural talent; it came from having to work  through difficulties and focused practice. It has been an ongoing decision to do it right which has eventually become habit.

The TT-50 Truing Tool is not difficult to use. Correct use is essentially a matter of locking it into position, controlling the depth of cut (think several shallow passes), and controlling the cross stone speed. In this case, the presenter was taking a deep cut while extoling the virtues of light cuts.

It's late. I will continue with this tomorrow. In my opinion, the learning curve gets much longer if one does not bother to master several very basic things at the start.

Ken

And we have good news, today Tormek has published the videos of the tormeks T-4 and T-8 that I think is a very good decision for future buyers who were still undecided.
It also briefly shows the use of the TT-50 accessory

T-8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d8jcG6bzJ4&list=TLGG6AMoPhaS8DMyNjA2MjAxOA

T-4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1qTcD1kKis&list=TLGG6AMoPhaS8DMyNjA2MjAxOA

Enjoy the videos

Ken S

Thanks for posting this, Fernando. I believe that Tormek has made a good choice in this.

Ken

RickKrung

Hate to be a wet blanket, but haven't we seen these already?  I'm pretty sure I saw at least the one about the T8 close to or soon after I purchased my T8 last Aug. (2017). 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Fernando

Quote from: RickKrung on June 26, 2018, 06:13:29 PM
Hate to be a wet blanket, but haven't we seen these already?  I'm pretty sure I saw at least the one about the T8 close to or soon after I purchased my T8 last Aug. (2017). 

Rick

You are absolutely right, we have already seen them, but the videos were not public.
fortunately now anyone without a tormek or without registering can see it

Grizz

Alan always does a great job in all of his Tormek video's

Ken S

I agree. Alan is an excellent choice to do the videos. He combines his professional experience as a woodworking host with his personal experience as a long time Tormek user. He gets extra points in my book for knowing the Tormek well enough not to fumble with the left hand thread of the EZYlock (or at least being professional enough to reshoot and edit; we are all human.   ::)

Ken