News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Info from Tormek re diamond wheels

Started by Cyrano, June 25, 2018, 04:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrano

Email exchange with Support at Tormek:

(1) I plan to switch between using the DC-250 and the SG-250 several times in a single sharpening session. Is it OK to do so without changing the water in the trough? I understand the Anti-Corrosion Concentrate won't harm the SG-250; my concern is whether SG-250 particles in the water could affect the DC-250.

"There should not be a problem changing between the diamond wheels and the standard stone.
The particles from the stone that could cause any diamond wheel problem are so heavy that it drops to the bottom of the water trough."

(2) What is the limit on how long I can use a single trough of ACC-treated water? Does the ACC in the trough lose its effectiveness after extended sharpening because of interaction with metal particles in the water? Does the effectiveness of the ACC in the trough diminish over time, even without any sharpening being done?

"The anti-corrosion concentrate does not lose efficiency as long as there is water left in the tray.
The only thing that can cause a problem is If there is any biological material left in the water that can cause mould growth, there is no anti mould additive in the ACC-150."

cbwx34

Quote from: Cyrano on June 25, 2018, 04:55:24 PM
Email exchange with Support at Tormek:

(1) I plan to switch between using the DC-250 and the SG-250 several times in a single sharpening session. Is it OK to do so without changing the water in the trough? I understand the Anti-Corrosion Concentrate won't harm the SG-250; my concern is whether SG-250 particles in the water could affect the DC-250.

"There should not be a problem changing between the diamond wheels and the standard stone.
The particles from the stone that could cause any diamond wheel problem are so heavy that it drops to the bottom of the water trough."

(2) What is the limit on how long I can use a single trough of ACC-treated water? Does the ACC in the trough lose its effectiveness after extended sharpening because of interaction with metal particles in the water? Does the effectiveness of the ACC in the trough diminish over time, even without any sharpening being done?

"The anti-corrosion concentrate does not lose efficiency as long as there is water left in the tray.
The only thing that can cause a problem is If there is any biological material left in the water that can cause mould growth, there is no anti mould additive in the ACC-150."

Good to know... although I'm not 100% convinced a stone "stirring the water" might still cause some of the SG particles to get on the DC stone?

Thanks for posting the info.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RickKrung

Quote from: Cyrano on June 25, 2018, 04:55:24 PM
...snip...

(1) I plan to switch between using the DC-250 and the SG-250 several times in a single sharpening session.
...snip...

I am curious about your sharpening process where you would switch between wheels. 

One way of taking your statement is that you would use the DC wheel and then the SG wheel, and then switch back to the DC wheel on the same knife, which does not make sense to me, but that is how I take "in a single sharpening session". 

Another way of taking it is that the "single" sharpening session is that you are sharpening multiple knives sequentially, using the DC wheel and then the SG wheel on one knife and then repeating that with subsequent knives.  That makes more sense to me, but puts the "single session" in a broader context. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Grizz

I could see going from a DE to a SJ and then the leather hone, but no need to go back to the DE for the same knife.

Ken S

Cyrano,

This sounds like a job for my trusty turkey baster and plastic peanut butter jar. I would use the turkey baster to remove most of the water, carefully pouring the last bit of water out. Then, using a paper towel, wipe out the debris from the trough; replace the trough; and pour the water back into the trough. This not only keeps your water clean, it keeps your plumbing clean.

Clean water may not meke a physical difference, however, it gives you a good mindset to do your best work.

Ken