News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Crowdsourcing a couple of measurements...

Started by cbwx34, June 22, 2018, 02:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

There are a couple of measurements needed in solving the formula for setting the USB Height.  While a few have provided measurements, they deviate a bit... and I thought it might be beneficial to "crowdsource" the info and get a better result.

The measurements are:

• The horizontal distance between the center of the shaft and the center of the USB
  • The vertical distance between the center of the shaft and the top of the casing.  (On the T-4 and T-8, the top of the casing at the top of where it slopes at the edge (the high point).
  • I also need the model measured

It would be appreciated... when anyone has the time, to take these measurements.  If you do, please PM them to me... don't post them in the forum.  (I don't want to skew the results).  If/when I get enough of them, I'll provide the results for anyone to use.

Measurements are needed for all machines (not just the ones mentioned above).

Thanks for the assist!

I should add:   be as accurate as possible... at a minimum to the nearest 1/2 mm (.02"). :)

p.s.  yes I asked Tormek... no reply.  But even if they did, it would be nice to have "field data".
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

cbwx34

Crowdsourcing Part II....

I have a second option, in addition to, and/or for those unable to do the first.  (Actually, this one might be easier too)....

Whatever method you use to set the angle, measuring to the stone, measuring to the casing, (or even AngleMaster/Sharpie/etc.)... can you measure and provide me with the following data?

I need 3 measurements (and the machine model used) for this...

• Actual measurement from the top of the USB to the Casing.
  • Actual measurement from the top of the USB to the stone (or bottom, just let me know which).
  • The current Diameter of your Wheel when you make these measurements.
  • The Projection Distance (if available).
  • The machine model used.
  • Optional:  the angle sharpened at.  (Don't really need, but would be nice to correlate).

As discussed elsewhere, the measurement from the top of the USB to the stone should follow a direct line that, if continued, would pass thru the center of the wheel...

This should be easier to do, and will give me a larger data sample (hopefully), since these can be made whenever you sharpen something.

Again, much appreciated.

Edit to add (6/23/18):  If you have the Projection Distance, please include it, I can use it to "cross check" the calculations.  Also, you can submit this information more than once... anytime you sharpen something new. :)  Thanks!
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)