News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

my early delivery diamond wheels

Started by Ken S, June 09, 2018, 05:02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I would like to clear up any confusion about why my diamond grinding wheels arrived before "the first shipment." My diamond wheels are advance review samples. They were shipped to me directly from Tormek in Sweden.

As most of you know, I have been reviewing new Tormek products for the forum for several years, beginning with the T4. I was late in receiving my T4. Before it arrived I watched an online review. The reviewer meant well, but had very little Tormek experience. I believe our members should learn about new Tormek products from a trusted, non biased, knowledgeable Tormeker. I try to fill that role. (For the record, I welcome comments from other members. Many users make better reviews.)

The first regular shipment is scheduled to arrive in July. Sorry that you pre-order customers are still waiting. In compensation, you will not have to search the shipping box looking for the missing Multi Base like I did. Be patient, and enjoy your diamond wheels and your Multi Base. I hope to join you soon in enjoying the Multi Base.

Don't overfill your water trough.......  :)

Ken

Tullamann

I got the DF-250, DE-250 and the MB-100 from the Norwegian dealer.
I started to break in the new diamond wheels on some old Mora knifes.
Then I tested an old folding knife, kept the existing angel of 15 DPS, a few passes on the DF-250, then 3 passes on the DE-250 and 2 passes on the honing wheel resulted in a BESS of 103. The knife could push-cut Tally-Ho cigarette paper, the thinner Rizzla Silver could be sliced but not push-cut.
Very happy so far.

Cheers,
TM
(English is not my native language, sorry for any typos)

Ken S

Excellent post and results, TM.

Being American, English is not my native language, either.   :)

Ken

wootz

Tullamann, Ken,

Could you check your diamond wheel is flat please - do you see any "saddling" as on the photo below? (the photo is not of the Tormek wheel, just an example of the so called "rimmed" wheel with saddling.)

Ken S

Wootz,

Very good idea. I will do that in the morning.

MorningI checked all three new diamond wheels, plus my two T2 wheels. All five are dead flat across using a straight edge and backlighting.

Ken

Tullamann

I have tested both DF-250 and DE-250, using a ruler and back-lighting, I think there are one or two places that might have a very tiny "saddling" because I could see some light in the middle.
I then tested these places with a feeler gauge with thickness 0,05 mm/0,002", the feeler gauge could not fit so the "saddle" is less than 0,05 mm".
When I put the 0,05 mm feeler gauge between the wheel and the ruler then the visible light was much stronger on each side of the gauge, so I assume the "saddle" is much less than 0.05mm.
The manual states that "After a short break-in period the diamond crystals will stabilize to a uniform level",  the tiny saddle I could see might be because some diamond grits still stand out.

Cheers,
TM

Ken S

Interesting. I think it would be a good idea to have a number of us repeat these tests periodically. It would be informative.

Out of curiosity, I wonder what would be a reasonable tolerance range of flatness for grinding wheels. Even the standards at the Bureau of Standards have tolerance ranges..

Ken

wootz

Much appreciated, it is important to know they are made flat, perfect.