News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

new online handbook edition

Started by Ken S, June 07, 2018, 03:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickKrung

Quote from: cbwx34 on June 08, 2018, 05:55:33 PM
I'm not sure what WorkSharp you're thinking of... the powered one puts a convex edge on... so technically, Tormek is only 1/2 way there.  ;) :D  The T-2 doesn't either... ???

Horizontal Disc Sharpener: http://www.worksharptools.com/woodworking-tool-sharpener-ws-3000.html

A friend has one, that he has shown me, but I've never seen it is use, in person.  I looked at some of the other Work Sharps and see what you mean about a convex edge, but this one does it flat.  I was not even aware of the others. 

You got it right... sharpening like in the image they posted... you can end up with grind marks running all different directions.  Not that you can't get a knife decently sharp, but it take a bit of "finesse", IMO.  It's not even like wootz's setup... his (at least looks like) runs the grind close to perpendicular.  Some testing done with another sharpener a while back... showed sharpening with the edge actually had a negative affect.  :-\

That is going to be interesting.  I think it depends on where on the side of a wheel on which it happens.  I hope Wootz chimes in for a dose of reality, but my sense of it is that it isn't very close to perpendicular, but more angular and also not that close to lateral. 

If it takes "finesse", as in more than is already necessary, I'm not sure that is a step forward.  But, as one or more of you said, "quit worrying about it and theorizing.  It will all make sense once the wheels are at hand" (slightly paraphrased). 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

wootz

By what I see in my "volume sharpening" attachment, a knife on the side of the wheel is sharpened partially edge-leading and partially edge-trailing, and this produces different burr along the parts of the edge; the grinding direction/marks is oblique rather than perpendicular to the edge.
With Tormek multibase jig on the picture one will have to walk around his Tormek several times to sharpen both sides of the knife: one side facing the machine, and another the opposite; the right side of the edge will get mostly edge-leading grinding, while the left side mostly edge-trailing.
Overall, you get a more pronounced burr and the apex slightly less sharp than when sharpened in a regular way on the wheel circumference, but of improved edge profile beneficial to cutting.

cbwx34

Quote from: RickKrung on June 08, 2018, 06:46:55 PM
I'm not sure what WorkSharp you're thinking of... the powered one puts a convex edge on... so technically, Tormek is only 1/2 way there.  ;) :D  The T-2 doesn't either... ???

Horizontal Disc Sharpener: http://www.worksharptools.com/woodworking-tool-sharpener-ws-3000.html

A friend has one, that he has shown me, but I've never seen it is use, in person.  I looked at some of the other Work Sharps and see what you mean about a convex edge, but this one does it flat.  I was not even aware of the others. 

You got it right... sharpening like in the image they posted... you can end up with grind marks running all different directions.  Not that you can't get a knife decently sharp, but it take a bit of "finesse", IMO.  It's not even like wootz's setup... his (at least looks like) runs the grind close to perpendicular.  Some testing done with another sharpener a while back... showed sharpening with the edge actually had a negative affect.  :-\

That is going to be interesting.  I think it depends on where on the side of a wheel on which it happens.  I hope Wootz chimes in for a dose of reality, but my sense of it is that it isn't very close to perpendicular, but more angular and also not that close to lateral. 

If it takes "finesse", as in more than is already necessary, I'm not sure that is a step forward.  But, as one or more of you said, "quit worrying about it and theorizing.  It will all make sense once the wheels are at hand" (slightly paraphrased). 

Rick

Oh.... the WS3000... wasn't actually designed to sharpen knives.  They made a belt attachment that fit on it if I recall, (and think they discontinued it when they came out with a belt sharpener).  Not saying you couldn't do it (never had one), but don't think it was made for that.  (Or I'm confusing it with something else).  ::)

I guess, just based on my experiences in sharpening... I don't think there's any real advantage to sharpening a knife on the side of a wheel.  I thought it was designed for other things (like chisels)... and like I said, was a bit surprised Tormek presented it as an option for knives.  Time will tell, but my money is on getting a better edge the "regular" way. ;)

Quote from: wootz on June 08, 2018, 07:19:25 PM
With Tormek multibase jig on the picture one will have to walk around his Tormek several times to sharpen both sides of the knife: one side facing the machine, and another the opposite; the right side of the edge will get mostly edge-leading grinding, while the left side mostly edge-trailing.

You mean you don't plan on leaning over the machine... and letting the leather wheel wear a hole in your shirt???  :o  :D
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

I think this discussion will prove more informative once we can actually test things on real Multi Bases and diamond wheels.

Ken

Grizz

Quote from: Ken S on June 08, 2018, 08:56:52 PM
I think this discussion will prove more informative once we can actually test things on real Multi Bases and diamond wheels.

Ken
did you ever receive the MB-100 ?

Ken S

Grizz,

I will know more next week. I am sure it is just a minor mixup. I'll keep you posted.

Ken