News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New SP-650

Started by Chevyguy, April 27, 2018, 01:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizz

Quote from: SHARPCO on May 09, 2018, 04:07:55 PM
Quote from: Grizz on May 09, 2018, 03:50:41 PM
while I agree with Ken and Y_Not that when new the stone should be perfectly flat, but I disagree with Sharpco because of support statement. "And when you use the stone grader you should not use it to flatten the grindstone stone. If the grind stone is uneven in the surface, you use the TT-50 to re shape it".

I flatten the SG-250, but stone grader makes it uneven.
I see what you mean now. that does present a problem.

cbwx34

Quote from: SHARPCO on May 10, 2018, 02:24:40 AM
Quote from: cbwx34 on May 09, 2018, 05:30:18 PM
What would happen if you turned your grading stone 90 deg.?

We have to press hard when using stone grader. So if I use a stone grader turned 90 degrees, my posture will become unstable.

I was thinking just to try it rotated... and see if your wheel comes out the same.

(It would help prove that the curved stone does matter, if there's a difference). ;)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Chevyguy

Sorry for not updating this sooner!
I had made the purchase on Amazon & returned it without any issue.
I haven't gotten around to replacing it yet.
I haven't invested in a TT-50 either yet, I have no way of truing up my stone and can't convince myself that using a warped stone grader would be good.
Enventually I will aquire all the accessories I need.
Thank you
Charlie

RickKrung

We have to press hard when using stone grader. So if I use a stone grader turned 90 degrees, my posture will become unstable.

I find that interesting and am curious how your posture becomes unstable. 

If standing at your machine, do you change how you stand, say by moving 90º CCW to hold the grader that way?  I sit in front of my T8 and do not change position when using the grader.  I just rotate the grader in my hands and it has no impact on my position or posture. 

I use the stone grader with the long axis parallel with the stone more that perpendicular.  I feel that using it perpendicular has a greater chance of crowning the stone, whereas, used parallel, it conforms more to the flatness of the stone.  I also forward and backward with the grader, making contact with the stone over the entire surface of the grader.  My grader remains perfectly flat. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Sharpco

Quote from: RickKrung on June 06, 2018, 10:15:58 PM

I find that interesting and am curious how your posture becomes unstable. 

If standing at your machine, do you change how you stand, say by moving 90º CCW to hold the grader that way?  I sit in front of my T8 and do not change position when using the grader.  I just rotate the grader in my hands and it has no impact on my position or posture. 

I use the stone grader with the long axis parallel with the stone more that perpendicular.  I feel that using it perpendicular has a greater chance of crowning the stone, whereas, used parallel, it conforms more to the flatness of the stone.  I also forward and backward with the grader, making contact with the stone over the entire surface of the grader.  My grader remains perfectly flat. 

Rick

There are several ways to use a stone grader rotated 90 degrees. But I did not take it seriously. If I have to, I will try it.  ;)