News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Farmers Market update

Started by Y-Not, May 28, 2018, 01:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizz

Ken,

I really don't use a belt sander because I have no use for it. seems like it would only be good for shovels and large axes, which I don't do. However I have done a few hatchets, but wont do anymore until I receive the diamond set.
I do use the slotted paper wheel for finish on all the knives I do, usually after a session with the SJ 250.

RickKrung

Quote from: Y-Not on May 28, 2018, 06:12:06 PM
Quote from: RickKrung on May 28, 2018, 05:46:46 PM
He gave me a business card and I would call him and find out when he would be there again.  I'm sure you must be doing something similar. 

Rick

Yeah, sort of.
I toyed with the idea of getting business cards.
Then my wife suggested that instead of business cards, we hand out the knife sheaths that already have our info on them.

Everyone seemed to think that it was a clever/good idea.
They have my info and they have something to bring their knife back to me in.  Win/Win.
...snip...

Just had what I think of as a humorous thought, that I do not think is practical, but....  You should "package" a single bandaid, under one of those clear plastic things that "Packing Lists" come in, on the outside of some shipping boxes. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Y-Not

Quote from: RickKrung on June 09, 2018, 05:37:14 PM
Just had what I think of as a humorous thought, that I do not think is practical, but....  You should "package" a single bandaid, under one of those clear plastic things that "Packing Lists" come in, on the outside of some shipping boxes. 

Rick

We jokingly thought of having band-aids printed with the logo/info in them.
That idea was quickly squashed as (A) having custom band-aids printed is stupid expensive and (B) in order to get any useful information onto a band-aid, the font would be too small to read.

It was a fun thought for minute or two.   8)

BTW, last weeks Farmers Market was a crazy success. We were there and set up and ready for about 30 minutes. I was starting to wonder if this was going to be one of those slow days.

Then the flood gates opened and for the next 3 hours I never stopped.
Wound up making more in 3 hours than I do in a full 8 hours with my full-time job.  Sort of makes one wonder....should I be considering a job change?  :-\
Not as sharp as I once was but I'm as sharp once as I ever was.

cbwx34

Quote from: Y-Not on June 13, 2018, 04:23:37 PM
(B) in order to get any useful information onto a band-aid, the font would be too small to read.

Youarebleedingbecauseyourknifeissharp <dot> com would fit... ;)
(Finder's fee if anyone actually uses this). :D

Congrats on the business!
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RichColvin

---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Quote from: cbwx34 on June 13, 2018, 05:50:21 PM
(B) in order to get any useful information onto a band-aid, the font would be too small to read.

Youarebleedingbecauseyourknifeissharp <dot> com would fit... ;)
(Finder's fee if anyone actually uses this). :D

I would add my congratulations on your well deserved business success (although I would be reluctant to leave a steady day job with benefits).

I have never liked the band aid marketing program. While it may be cute, I do not like the message it conveys that using a Tormek increases your risk of injury. I have had numerous minor incisions from sharp knives and tools over the years. As they have been minor, I have just washed and dressed them and carried on. I remember from first aid class that the blood flow from incisions tends to be self cleaning, lowering the risk of infection. A cut from a dull or rough edge knife, while still an incision, would lean toward being a laceration, a more ragged wound more prone to infection.

My preferred defenses against cuts are sharp knives and large cutting boards.

Ken

Y-Not

Quote from: Ken S on June 14, 2018, 11:40:03 AM
Quote from: cbwx34 on June 13, 2018, 05:50:21 PM

I would add my congratulations on your well deserved business success (although I would be reluctant to leave a steady day job with benefits).

I have never liked the band aid marketing program. While it may be cute, I do not like the message it conveys that using a Tormek increases your risk of injury. I have had numerous minor incisions from sharp knives and tools over the years. As they have been minor, I have just washed and dressed them and carried on. I remember from first aid class that the blood flow from incisions tends to be self cleaning, lowering the risk of infection. A cut from a dull or rough edge knife, while still an incision, would lean toward being a laceration, a more ragged wound more prone to infection.

My preferred defenses against cuts are sharp knives and large cutting boards.

Ken

Thanks to one and all.

And Ken, I totally agree.
The band-aid idea is cute. But it's really nothing more than that.
Plus, adding anything other than the basic necessities, contributes to the overhead and reduces profit. If I truly thought that adding a band-aid was required, I would have.
But it's not so...I'll never do that.

My feelings are that knives (sharp things) and fire have a lot in common.
Misuse or neglect either one and harm will come your way.
Manage, maintain and respect them and they are welcome assets (if not requirements) to your life.

And unless in some freakish world, sharpening suddenly starts offering healthcare benefits, there's not a chance in hell I'll give up my day job. 
Not as sharp as I once was but I'm as sharp once as I ever was.