News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New Diamond Wheels and Multi Base

Started by Sharpco, March 04, 2018, 10:30:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichColvin

Glad this came out now !   My SB wheel is getting ready for replacement, & I'll probably opt for diamond wheel(s).  Maybe a course & a fine ...
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

RichColvin

How long is the life of a diamond wheel ?  Wonder how the cost per sharpening compares to the SB & SG stones ...
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

My quiet very early morning quiet time. Several related questions:

Mike, you are correct. As I recall, the DWC-200 coarse wheel for the T2and T4 is 360 grit and the DWC-250 wheel for the T7/8 is 360 grit. I find that the DWC-200, being diamond, actually cuts more aggressively than the 220 grit SG. Frankly, I would not get hung up on grit numbers. I find the DWC-200 a nice balance between fast cutting and smooth finish. All of the diamond wheels should be available from any Tormek dealer, although probably by special order.

Tournevis, I agree, it would be nice to have wheels with full side coverage for the T4. Having used both sizes, I think the T4 is a better machine than Tormek realizes. It comes from the heritage of the T1200 and the T3. These were designed more for the amateur, hobbiest market.  With the redesigned machined zinc top, Tormek corrected the overheating problem which plagued earlier models. The zinc top for the T4 has served as the prototype for the flagship T8. The T4 really is a heavy duty machine, however, it still has the undeserved stigma as being the less expensive amateur model.  Notice that Tormek does not make the SB blackstone in the 200mm size. The SB works best with lighter grinding pressure. I see no reason why it would not work very well with the T4.

Although the two diamond wheels are perfectly compatible (and more versatile) with the T4, they were originally designed for the T2.

Do not despair about a lack of grinding wheels for the T4. I presently have six grinding wheels for my T4, with grits ranging from 46 to the SG-200 graded fine. I could have more; the constraint is not selection, it is my wallet. The T4 with a 46 grit Norton 3X wheel or an 80 or 180 grit CBN wheel is formidable!

Jeff Farris posted about shaping his SG with a radius on the inside face. For those of you wanting a round profile for sharpening concave knives, this might be an inexpensive, workable plan. I do not think such a radius would interfere with the normal uses of the SG and could be used even at full size.  If the radius proved not to be of any benefit, it would soon be worn down. I would think an inexpensive diamond T dresser would form such a radius quickly.

I would urge all of us to be patient with Tormek's diamond wheels. Tormek works deliberately and carefully. The T4 was an opportunity to work with a precision machined zinc top. This technology was later used with the T8 and T2, as well as several redesigned jigs. The T4 also served as the basis for the T2. The T2 was Tormek's first application of diamond wheels. This was a radical departure for Tormek. Originally, the T2 was only marketed in Sweden, a much more controlled environment for Tormek.

With no inside information, I believe these three new diamond wheels will become a major part of the future for Tormek. We will always have the home workshop user wanting to keep his woodworking, turning, carving and cutlery tools sharp. For these users, the relatively inexpensive SG wheels are ideal.

We are entering an era where the more production sharpener, be it for knives, turning tools, drill bits or planar blades, requires the faster production time of not having to dress the grinding wheel or grade the wheel. These new diamond wheels allow that user to maintain the control of the Tormek with the latest grinding wheels. The press release mentions grinding carbide. I am awaiting word as to how much carbide grinding is proven with the new wheels.

As the new diamond wheels become quickly accepted, I hope Tormek will eventually introduce the full line in 200mm diameter.

CB, you and I are thinking alike. Like you, before I even completed reading the announcement, I was thinking of other uses for the multi base. This is a big step forward for a long thinking process. I have posted an idea or two using the usb and platform jig in different configurations. The multi base will expand those options.

Incidentally, the SG-200 presently sells for $109 US. The DWC-200 sells for $234. I suspect that a price comparable to the SJ-250 for the new larger diamond wheels is a good guess. (They will be available in June.) Posts from several heavy users indicate that the SB wheels last longer than the standard SG wheels. Tormek uses the wording "exceptional durability" in describing its diamond wheels. For a heavy user, I suspect that exceptional durability means lower cost per sharpening due to longer life and no time lost to dressing the wheel. I think "forever" is hopeful hype promoted by enthusiastic marketing departments. For most of us, I think exceptional durability means that our heirs will enjoy the same diamond wheels we purchase. I have no product complaints with that.

Mentioned, but not yet explained, is a modified WM-200 Anglemaster for the new multi base. 

This is an interesting year for Tormek and Tormek users.

Ken

EDITED TO CORRECT DWC GRIT TO 360

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on March 05, 2018, 12:05:57 PM
Mike, you are correct. As I recall, the DWC-200 coarse wheel for the T2and T4 is 325 grit and the DWC-250 wheel for the T7/8 is 360 grit. I find that the DWC-200, being diamond, actually cuts more aggressively than the 220 grit SG. Frankly, I would not get hung up on grit numbers. I find the DWC-200 a nice balance between fast cutting and smooth finish. All of the diamond wheels should be available from any Tormek dealer, although probably by special order.

Seems a bit odd that the coarse rated stones would be two different grits... ???  You are right that diamonds typically are more aggressive than their equivalent grit rating with other stones... numbers don't tell the entire story.

Quote from: Ken S on March 05, 2018, 12:05:57 PM
Mentioned, but not yet explained, is a modified WM-200 Anglemaster for the new multi base. 

My impression from reading is, it's the same AngleMaster, with an additional set of numbers printed on it for the Multi-Base (since it says you can use the old AM by "adding 18° to the desired angle").
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

cbwx34

Quote from: RichColvin on March 05, 2018, 04:01:30 AM
How long is the life of a diamond wheel ?  Wonder how the cost per sharpening compares to the SB & SG stones ...

The only thing I can find from Tormek (on Facebook) was this...

Quote from: TormekIt's hard to say exactly what the lifetime is, the Diamonds offer an exceptional durability, meaning the wheel will last for a long time of sharpening. But it's sensitive for high pressure so therefore it's important to always sharpen with low pressure. Glenn Lucas Woodturning have used it for almost one year in his workshop and he's very satisfied.

BTW, on the question of... Will it be available for the T-4, at least Tormek's answer is... only the T-8 for now... as opposed to their answer for the SB stone being available for the T-4 which was.... no.  :-\  (Maybe a glimmer of hope there...).

Ken S

CB,

I was mistaken on the grit number; the correct number for both sizes is 360. Whatever the exact nmber, I think it cuts faster than the SG graded coarse.

We will all have to relearn our grinding pressure habits from the SG. The SB works better with low pressure, also.

I hope your hunch is correct about diamond wheels for the T4 in the future.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on March 05, 2018, 04:11:25 PM
CB,

I was mistaken on the grit number; the correct number for both sizes is 360. Whatever the exact nmber, I think it cuts faster than the SG graded coarse.
Ken

At 4 in the a.m.... who can blame you?  ;)

Ken S

What's scary is that according to the forum advanced stats on me, I have posted during all twenty four hour periods of the day.........I need a life.   :-\

Ken

Rem

Quote from: AKMike on March 04, 2018, 10:12:05 PM
Rem - The announcement says the diamond wheels will go on sale in June.
[/quote

DUH. !!!    Thanks, Mike.     I'm a dufus.     R

cbwx34

A few diamond wheel pictures I "stole" from Tormek's Instagram feed...

8)

(Edited to fix the picture).