News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Re: Question about Tormek and knives steels

Started by Ken S, May 19, 2018, 11:48:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I split this quote from the original similarly named topic. I did not want to hijack the topic.

Welcome to the forum.

It has been pointed out in other threads... (Examples: here and here)... that the SJ wheel may not be the best choice for polishing out the higher end steels that you mentioned.

If you want to go the "Tormek route" using only the Tormek, I would consider the T-4 model, and purchase a couple of extra leather wheels, that you can then load with diamond compounds to polish out the blade.  (I would also replace the nut with a Locking Knob to make switching between leather wheels easier).  (There are other options for polishing out the blade... this is if you just want to use the Tormek).

The Tormek will not damage the tip of your knife... and in fact you can repair the tips you have damaged.

My .02... hope it helps.
[/quote]

I am in an odd position with this. I have actually been doing what CB recommends for several years. While the T4 is a marvelous machine as is, it can be made more versatile. I have added several more grinding and honing wheels to mine and am pleased with the results.

I also changed out the locking screw, as mentioned by CB. A bit of history: The Tormek originally came with just a hex nut to secure the leather honing wheel. Many years ago, Tormek briefly introduced an abrasive "honing" wheel (the EA-240) which could be interchanged with the leather honing wheel. As using the hex nut with a wrench was inconvenient, an optional "Quick Change Connection" was introduced. This later became the standard connector on the larger Tormeks.

In my opinion, Tormek designed the T4 for a $400 US price point. To meet that price point, the much improved quick change connector was changed back to the original less expensive hex nut; the steel EZYlock nut was switched to a less expensive plastic nut; and, the essential TT-50 truing tool was not included. Fortunately, adding a TT-50 and swapping out the equivalent two parts from the T7/8 easily rectifies the situation. I should note that my use of the T4 is more demanding that the typical user and that thousands of satisfied T4 users are using their machines as is. My original parts never failed.

I like the T4 for what it is, a lighter, more compact, but full fledged Tormek. It's a great machine; I do not feel it is a less expensive Tormek. I have extra leather honing wheels for both my T7 and T4. The cost difference is minimal. I would not spent $400 to save a few dollars on leather honing wheels if I already had a larger Tormek.

I like to tinker and expand the scope of my Tormeks. I first added 46 and 80 grit Norton 3X grinding wheels. I like the water cooled, dust free Tormek environment.  at around $50 each, and you only really need one, either one, a 3X wheel delivers a lot of fire power for someone who occasionally has a heavy grinding job like reshaping a turning tool. It turns a seemingly endless chore into a two minute project. A 3X wheel is not as convenient as a CBN wheel or the marvelous Tormek diamond wheels, however, it gets the job done for a fraction of the cost.

I later added a 180 grit CBN wheel and the Tormek DWF and DWC-200 diamond wheels. These wheels will all work on the larger Tormeks like a regular grinding wheel worn down to 200 mm. They work swimmingly well on the T4.

CB is right about the quick connect. It makes it very convenient to change honing wheels. One of my early experiments was using a separate leather honing wheel with valve grinding compound. VGC cuts more aggressively than the Tormek honing compound. It is more efficient for cleaning up a stained or mildly surface rusted surface. It does not leave as polished a surface as the Tormek compound leaves. I am glad to have the choice, although, since the testing, I have only used the Tormek compound.

There are some exciting new diamond compounds I hope to explore someday.

I am in the early stages of working with an eight inch diameter hard felt wheel. I mount this where the grinding wheel would normally go. I started with the "hard" grade. There are several grades including a rock hard grade. They are also made in ten inch diameter. I have no idea whether or not felt wheels will prove as or more useful than the leather honing wheel, but I will find out.

I am just one of a number of curious members on this forum who are tinker explorers. We want to expand the range of our Tormeks in directions which would not make good business sense for a company like Tormek. Between the explorers and the innovative design engineers at Tormek, it is an exciting journey. This year will be especially exciting with the three new diamond wheels and multi base.

Stay tuned......

Ken