News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Farmers Market test run...

Started by Y-Not, May 13, 2018, 06:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Y-Not

Yesterday, my son, wife and I set up our canopy, tables, benches, banner and all, just as we might for the actual farmers market that'll be starting in two weeks.

For the past two weeks, I've been letting the neighbors know that I'd be doing this and that I needed input from them on what works, what doesn't and what they thought was missing.

I also wanted them to bring me things to sharpen. While this was not a requirement, I thought it'd be useful to go through the whole process for 4 hours just as if I were set up at the market.  We had a few folks come by. All brought me something to sharpen as well as sharing their thoughts on the whole set up.

I'm afraid that they didn't feel like they could give me honest, constructive criticism. Everyone seemed to like how it was organized and how easy it was to drop off items and how it was set up so that every order was kept isolated from the others. They seemed to really like the knife sheaths (big thanks to Steve Bottorff for sharing his template)

I made a few bucks. Which was not really the primary goal.
Most importantly, I was able to sort out how I wanted everything arranged, how to work with another person or two milling about while I was working.
What items we didn't really need. What items we really needed (fan, trash can, cooler).

Most of the time was spent just sitting, waiting for someone new to arrive. That part felt like a waste of time. I expect that I'll have times like this at the market too. The biggest difference is that we'll have people to talk to as they pass by.

All in all, it was worth it.

I feel like I got a small sample of what people will present to me at the market.

I had to decline a couple of items just because they should have been tossed long ago or it would require more effort to sharpen than it was worth (broken and duct taped handles on shears being one).

Some of our friends (more my wife's than mine), dropped off a few knives, pickled up their claim tag (a lanyard with  logo and a number) then wandered about our yard/garden talking to my wife about whatever they talk about. My son sent a text message letting them know that their items were complete and ready for pick up.  15 to 20 minutes later they wandered back. I gave them the bin with their items (matched the bin number to the claim tag number). My wife collected the $$ and the transaction was complete.  :)

Again, all in all, it was a success without the pressure of hoards of people. We had time in between "customers" to rearrange things and discuss what we'd need for the opening day at the market.  Very, very low pressure event and the primary goal was obtained.  I'd give myself a "high five" but I'd look like some numb nut clapping for no reason.   ::)

Now to print up a bunch of sheaths and price lists (again, thanks to Steve for his ideas/templates).
Not as sharp as I once was but I'm as sharp once as I ever was.

Ken S

Brave, Y-Not! you have devised and executed an excellent plan. You practice run will have so many benefits. I like how you have involved your family.

Keep us posted!

Ken

Y-Not

Quote from: Ken S on May 13, 2018, 06:42:57 PM
Brave, Y-Not! you have devised and executed an excellent plan. You practice run will have so many benefits. I like how you have involved your family.

Keep us posted!

Ken

Thanks!

The first benefit is that we've ironed out some wrinkles before opening day. That was really BIG.

The second and perhaps most important is that I'm feeling more at ease with the whole working at a market thing. 

I'm absolutely confident about my ability to sharpen.  It's the market part that's had me on edge. The Tormek helps a whole lot.  Speeds things up nicely as well as allows me to expand my list of items that I can sharpen while at the market.  You may have noticed that I've got a reel mower displayed on my banner.  I've been doing those for years too but I will not be able to do that at the market.  But that's there just in case some one might be interested. They can drop them off at the market and either pick them up the following Saturday or some day during the week.

Also, one of the two boys in the photo is not mine.  He's the son of a neighbor/friend of my son.

banjoey

How awesome doing a test run.  I have worked several BBQ cooking contests. 

I have found too that customers like there items separated.  As you I keep separate baskets.  I wasn't doing the second control of providing a ticket or other item.  Great idea.  I have a 3d printer and will make some knife plastic thingys or something to keep each basket to each customers.  Great idea!!!!!!

I was super nervous my first BBQ.  Second and third I was able to focus more on my process and the customer, where now, I have it down pretty well.  ANd yes I have found even in broad daylight, a desk lamp always helps!!!!

At the BBQ events these are often 10-14 hour days of all day sharpening.  Your table is too low.  By the end of the day you won't be able to move!!!!  Ok I am not 20 either.

But I found a higher pedestal workstand/bench allows me to raise the Tormek higher and I can sharpen much better longers. 

A friend of mine made me a two piece unit.  So I can take it apart and move to shows and events.  The top pieces is basically a square box with two drawers for gigs and other ready sharpening supplies.

The bottom piece is two drawers as well, but at the very bottom a pull out plat form to stand upon.  This raises my my who working plate form keeping my tools away from curious little hands!!!!

The two pieces sit on top of one another and are secured together by four fast latches so I can quickly take my work station out of truck and fit two pieces together with all my gigs tools and other STUFF in my two piece work bench storage cabinet!!!

I also built in a small battery (think motorcycle battery) attached to a small inverter 400watt and a dual usb charger.  So I can charge my phone, have music and it is what powers my lap.  I can keep my phone charge, run music and run the lamp as needed all day without needing to recharge my battery.  I used a deep cycle marine battery.  I remove it from the unit during transportation due to weight.  In addition (Remember the nerd part) i also attached inside a solar regulator so that I can charge my battery during the day while in use.   I will have to admit, other than playing with testing and showing off, I have never needed to use the solar panels. 

But what I can do, if I have no power, I can attached an additional larger 12 volt battery to my station and run my tormek pretty much all day.  I have done this more than once.  Much quieter than a generator!!!! 

And since I am often at a remote cooking competition I even have a very small generator I got from Harbor Freight.  It is loud but it was cheap.  Never needed it in real life.  Just gotta have a backup!!!

Nice work!!

J

Y-Not

Quote from: banjoey on May 13, 2018, 08:39:01 PM
How awesome doing a test run.  I have worked several BBQ cooking contests. 

Your table is too low.  By the end of the day you won't be able to move!!!!  Ok I am not 20 either.

But I found a higher pedestal workstand/bench allows me to raise the Tormek higher and I can sharpen much better longers. 

I have found too that customers like there items separated.  As you I keep separate baskets.  I wasn't doing the second control of providing a ticket or other item.  Great idea.  I have a 3d printer and will make some knife plastic thingys or something to keep each basket to each customers.  Great idea!!!!!!

I was super nervous my first BBQ.  Second and third I was able to focus more on my process and the customer, where now, I have it down pretty well.  ANd yes I have found even in broad daylight, a desk lamp always helps!!!!

Yeah, I hear what you are saying about the bench being too low.  And at first, it was a concern for the reasons you mentioned but while getting to know my Tormek and practicing my techniques, I have spent many an hour working over it.  I set the height based upon the Tormek suggestions and what I'ev read here and a dozen other places.  So far, no discomfort what-so-ever. If needed, I can always raise it. Right now, it works and I'm good with it.

The light, was not an option.  My normal job is working on computers. Generally in the wee wee hours in a less than well lit data center. As I'm 20+ years away from my 20's, lighting is a requirement for almost everything I do these days.   :P

More photos from the "test event" and one of my bin/claim ticket process.

In one of the photos, you can see the knife rest (thanks to Herman!).
In another, I'm putting it to work.  If you look, you'll see a clear bottle of water.  I use that to rinse the rest after a couple of knife flips.  Just to rinse away any grit that might have been deposited on the knife rest.  I also use the same bottle to rinse out the water trough when I've finished each blade.

My son was giving me grief about it being a ketchup bottle.
I told him that it does what I need and didn't cost me a penny.  So why go out and buy a bottle just for this purpose when I was about to toss one in the recycling?

cbwx34

Thanks for the update!  Looks like you're well prepared. 👍 👍
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)