News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Rust inhibitors discussion

Started by RichColvin, May 07, 2018, 04:26:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichColvin

Really good discussion about rust inhibitors (e.g., Honerite) on this AAW forum thread :

http://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php?threads/tradesman-dc-grinder.13706/

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Interesting topic, Rich.

I would be interested in reading an updated version when the new Tormek diamond wheels and Anti Corrosion Compound are available.

I have not found any information from Tormek going into any depth about their diamond wheels. I find that one minute little videos with music and moving camera position are cute, but not very informative. They just whet my apetite, which is probably their purpose.

The two user comments (Nick Agar and Glenn Lucas, both real deal experts) mention preferring to use the new diamond wheels with water. Neither mentions using ACC.

What I think is really unfortunate is the company silence with the DWF-200 and DWC-200. While thesoe were designed for the T2, they also work very well with the T4. I assume they are essentially the same construction as the new 250 mm diamond wheels (except no side abrasive). I have not tried using them wet, as recommended for the larger wheels. The 200 mm diamond wheels are really nice products. They work very well and expand the versatility of the T4. EDIT: I have since learned from support that the T2 diamond wheels are constructed only for dry use and must not be used wet.

I assume that Tormek did considerable product testing before announcing the new diamond wheels. I also assume they have done considerable testing with the ACC. It would be nice if Tormek would share more in depth product information with actual Tormek users like us who want a deeper understanding than just a short music video.

Ken

cbwx34

Tormek has the MSDS sheet on their site for their additive....

https://www.tormek.com/media/1771027/material-safety-data-sheet-acc-150-en.pdf

... it uses "Dodecanedioic acid"

BTW, nowhere can I find where anyone actually has tried anti-freeze (that was brought up in the link Rich provided).  Anyone?  ???
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Good find, CB. I missed it. I hope more information will follow as the distribution date gets nearer.

Ken

wootz

I struggle to imagine a man who has never smelled antifreeze. Because only such a man would advise to use it in a home environment

SharpenADullWitt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfEVKoPX2ZQ

I remember there was a discussion some time back and this person was the one linked to/poster in a forum.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

cbwx34

Quote from: SharpenADullWitt on May 08, 2018, 04:18:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfEVKoPX2ZQ

I remember there was a discussion some time back and this person was the one linked to/poster in a forum.

Interesting video... thanks.  In the followup comments, he claims to have used if for several years without issue.

I searched yesterday, but didn't find anything... turns out I misspelled antifreeze.  ::)

A search today, found a couple of threads... one where Jeff Farris claims it would reduce the effectiveness of the grindstone...

Quote from: Jeff Farris on February 14, 2012, 12:58:08 PM
Additives will reduce or eliminate the effectiveness of your grindstone. Specifically, anti-freeze has additives designed to eliminate abrasion --- not a good thing.

Interesting info.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Agreed, CB. That is useful and interesting information.

Ken

Grizz

I think jeff went on to say that anti-freeze also dissolves the adhesives in the stone.