News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

two knife jig suggestions

Started by Ken S, April 26, 2018, 04:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I would like to share two ideas for improving knife sharpening:

There is concern about scratching the knives when using a small platform jig. Lee Valley sells slippery tape. It is one inch (25 mm) wide. Two strips side by side on the platform  should work. (I have not tried this.) Here is the link:

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=32182&cat=1,110,43466,32182

The second idea concerns deepening the jig groove to fit thicker knives. Ideally this should be done with a mill. Lacking a mill, using a file or wet or dry abrasive with a flat wooden back should work. Having a safe edge(smooth, no teeth) on the file or abrasive would help. The teeth could be ground off.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on April 26, 2018, 04:02:35 PM
I would like to share two ideas for improving knife sharpening:

There is concern about scratching the knives when using a small platform jig. Lee Valley sells slippery tape. It is one inch (25 mm) wide. Two strips side by side on the platform  should work. (I have not tried this.) Here is the link:

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=32182&cat=1,110,43466,32182

The second idea concerns deepening the jig groove to fit thicker knives. Ideally this should be done with a mill. Lacking a mill, using a file or wet or dry abrasive with a flat wooden back should work. Having a safe edge(smooth, no teeth) on the file or abrasive would help. The teeth could be ground off.

Ken

If my experience with other "platform" guided sharpeners is any indication... the best result is to tape the blade.  The main problem with taping the platform, is you still have to deal with it getting contaminated.  (As stated before, may not be as much of an issue with the Tormek, but I'm thinking it'll always be there).  Scratching the blade is the main reason I haven't made one (yet).

Another option for sharpening thicker knives with the jig, (for the occasional sharpener since it would be a bit of a PITA), would be to make a quick adjustment of the USB Micro-Adjust, or the Knife Jig's Adjustable Stop collar, when switching sides.  (I think you or someone posted about marking it with a clip somehow?).  You'd just have to make sure you did it every time. ;)  Not too bad to solve the problem if the need is small... but probably not for the "farmer's market" gig. :-\ ::)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Good thoughts, CB.

I see your point about contamination, although, like you, I wonder if it would be an issue with the Tormek. (This would seem even less of an issue with diamond wheels used with the Anti Corrosion Compound, as the grinding debris would only be steel.) Somewhere on my project list is to make a proper Herman Platform. When I complete assembly of my grandson's 3D printer kit, I plan to make the extended part of the platform using the 3D printer and ABS.

Yes, I think premade collars or adjustments could help equalize bevels of very thick knives. It would take some calculation and/or trial and error. The end result would be some prime sharpening. This would be worth exploring, although, hopefully, Tormek will eventually make it unnecessary.

Ken

Ken