News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Interference by Tanto knife

Started by Sharpco, April 21, 2018, 04:42:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharpco

I tried to sharpen Strider tanto knife but due to interference with the Universal Support, I couldn't.

I reproduce the situation using another knife.

First, knife's butt interfered with Universal Support.

Second, the protruding part of the knife jig interfered with the Universal Support.

Is there a solution for this problem?

Hogdog6

My tanto I sharpen as if two blades in one. Therefore clamp it square to the wheel on the main blade then clamp the tanto tip square to the stone. Pay very close attention to keep you grinds even. That is the only way I know to sharpen a tanto blade.

Sharpco

Quote from: Hogdog6 on April 21, 2018, 08:25:36 AM
My tanto I sharpen as if two blades in one. Therefore clamp it square to the wheel on the main blade then clamp the tanto tip square to the stone. Pay very close attention to keep you grinds even. That is the only way I know to sharpen a tanto blade.

Yes. I already sharpened several tanto knives successfully. But Strider is not easy because it causes interference.

cbwx34

Quote from: SHARPCO on April 21, 2018, 04:42:01 AM
I tried to sharpen Strider tanto knife but due to interference with the Universal Support, I couldn't.

Second, the protruding part of the knife jig interfered with the Universal Support.

Yes there's a solution...

;)

I see you added the picture of the Strider... maybe you can show the issue with the actual knife?  (Since the knife in the first picture... doesn't look like there's a problem).

For your second question... it looks like you have the Stop screwed in too far... any reason you can't unscrew it a turn or two?  (Would probably help with the first question too... give you more room to work).

Edit to add:  I'll add (for those who read this later), the Homemade Knife Rest as another possible solution. ;)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Sharpco

Quote from: cbwx34 on April 21, 2018, 02:30:10 PM
Quote from: SHARPCO on April 21, 2018, 04:42:01 AM

Yes there's a solution...

;)

I see you added the picture of the Strider... maybe you can show the issue with the actual knife?  (Since the knife in the first picture... doesn't look like there's a problem).

For your second question... it looks like you have the Stop screwed in too far... any reason you can't unscrew it a turn or two?  (Would probably help with the first question too... give you more room to work).

Unfortunately, I haven't Strider knife now. But I can tell you that I tried it you mentioned.

If I can use the jig you show me, the second problem seems to be solved. But unless I cut Universal Support, the first problem will remain.

cbwx34

Quote from: Hogdog6 on April 21, 2018, 08:25:36 AM

Welcome to the forum... and good advice!  :)

cbwx34

Quote from: SHARPCO on April 21, 2018, 02:39:55 PM

Unfortunately, I haven't Strider knife now. But I can tell you that I tried it you mentioned.

If I can use the jig you show me, the second problem seems to be solved. But unless I cut Universal Support, the first problem will remain.

The "4 Stop Collar" setup (in the picture) puts the knife above the USB... so it will not interfere at all.

Again, I wonder why you can't unscrew the Stop a bit though... should give you more room to work, and will solve the 2nd issue.  Why does it have to be screwed down so much? ???

Sharpco

Quote from: cbwx34 on April 21, 2018, 02:45:16 PM
Quote from: SHARPCO on April 21, 2018, 02:39:55 PM

The "4 Stop Collar" setup (in the picture) puts the knife above the USB... so it will not interfere at all.

Again, I wonder why you can't unscrew the Stop a bit though... should give you more room to work, and will solve the 2nd issue.  Why does it have to be screwed down so much? ???

The "4 stop collar" seems a good idea. Maybe it will solve my problem perfectly. But unfortunately, it is difficult to make it for the Strider tanto knife only.

And I had confirmed that adjusting the collar to the maximum would not solve the problem.

I just got a good idea. This knife is a folder, so I can solve the first problem by releasing the lock. And I think I can solve the second problem using Rick's collar.  ;)

cbwx34

Quote from: SHARPCO on April 21, 2018, 03:06:49 PM
The "4 stop collar" seems a good idea. Maybe it will solve my problem perfectly. But unfortunately, it is difficult to make it for the Strider tanto knife only.

And I had confirmed that adjusting the collar to the maximum would not solve the problem.

I just got a good idea. This knife is a folder, so I can solve the first problem by releasing the lock. And I think I can solve the second problem using Rick's collar.  ;)

Awesome! ;)