News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek T4 in Frankfurt

Started by cukka, April 09, 2018, 11:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cukka

Hello to All.
Guys, is there a store in the city centre where I can buy a Tormek machine? I will be travelling to Frankfurt am Main this weekend. There is not a Tormek reseller in my country and I think I can fit a T4 in the suitcase going back. I can see there are some resellers in Frankfurt area but the closest one is 15-20 Km from the centre which means taking a train ride. Perhaps some big chain store like Bauhaus etc. sells Tormek, does anyone have any info on this?

Ken S

Welcome to the forym, Cukka.

Looking under resellers on tormek.com, I found this:

Hans Möller & Sohn GmbH   Industriestr. 10   Kelkheim   +49 6195 70010   http://www.moeller-kelkheim.de/   15,45 km

This was the closest reseller shown to Frankfurt. I suggest you contact Tormek support (support@tormek.se) or telephone to see if there might be any other closer dealers.

Another idea would be to call Hans Möller & Sohn and see if they would ship your T4 to someplace like the main post office in Frankfurt for you to pick up.

I suggest you act quickly.

Best of luck.

Ken

marie

Hello Cukka,

Unfortunately, we do not have any stockists closer to the city centre in Frankfurt. Our Country Sales Manager for Germany advise you to see if Hans Möller & Sohn GmbH can arrange a pick-up pint for you. You can also check with online dealer Dictum to see if it is possible to have a machine shipped to a pick-up point close to your accommodation. Please see www.dictum.com/en/tormek for more information on their range of Tormek products.

I hope you find this information helpful. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions.

Kind regards,
Marie - Marketing Manager, Tormek

Ken S

Thank you, Marie. Your reply is another example of the outstanding customer service I have come to expect from the Tormek team.

Cukka, based on Marie's suggestion, perhaps it might be possible to have your T4 delivered directly to your hotel in Frankfurt. If so, I would suggest you notify the manager that you are expecting a package.

Keep us posted!

Ken

cukka

Thank you both Ken S and marie for your quick and sensible replies. I will definitively check for online delivery to my hotel. As a plan B, I have already figured out which train to take to Möller in Kelkheim. It seems it'll take around half an hour to get there. I will manage somehow and report my adventures back to the forum :)

Ken S

Good planning, Cukka. If you decide to follow the train plan, I suggest that you contact Möller in advance to make sure they have a T4 in stock reserved for you. The train ride will be more pleasant if you have your T4!

Gute reise!  (good trip)

Ken

Grizz

I guess we in the USA should feel lucky to have Tormek and accessories easily accessible here in the lower 48. I am sure enjoying my new T-8

Ken S

marie

Cukka, we're happy to be of help. Keep us posted and enjoy your trip! :)

Kind regards,
Marie - Marketing Manager, Tormek

cukka

Hello to everyone!

I got my T4 from Dictum.de, it seemed the more convenient way. I sent an email checking whether it would work out and after receiving a confirmation I went ahead and ordered online. Sure enough my package was waiting for me at the hotel when I got there. No problems with delivery and everything was fine, only one small problem they forgot to include the invoice with the package. Well, I needed that invoice to get stamped at the airport so I can have a tax refund and being already weekend there was nobody to send it to me by email. The invoice did not reach me on time before my flight  and now we are working together with Dictum to solve the tax refund problem. I don't want to bore you with this.

I got the T4 with the truing tool, hand tools kit and the Japanese stone and the total weight did scare me - 16.5 Kg.! Luckily I was traveling with a friend. He took the hand tool kit and one of the stones. I tried desperately to fit the Tormek box in my luggage. Had to tear the box at one side and it fit with difficulty bulging my Samsonite. Of course I didn't trust both of the stones ( SG-200 and SJ-200) in the luggage and we took them each in our back packs. I was worried they might not be allowed in the cabin but it went without a problem. So at the end I managed to bring a Tormek T4 with some extras by plane. I don't know how to feel: be proud of myself or feel pity for my country :)

Some early observations about the Tormek system: (I am sure those topics have been discussed so please forgive this newbie)

1. I do not regret buying the Japanese stone. It is very useful for me, I need clean edge without any teeth. ( knives for scraping reeds for Oboe/Basoon) It could be less useful for someone who needs an edge with a bite.

2. There is definitely a learning curve and that is fine by me, it took me 25 years to learn to play the Oboe :) So, attemting to sharpen a 10 inch long kitchen knife the second day with the machine was a mistake. It is not easy to keep the knive jig absolutely perpendicular to the guiding rod. Also it is easy to tip the knife and touch only the edge of the stone for a second and that is enough to spoil the edge. I feel there is a lot room for innovation there. Just my feeling.

3. When grinding heavily 220 grit soon becomes 1000 grit. So I find myself using the rough side of tne stone grader more. Otherwise the steel removal speed goes down. I believe there could be a need for a 80 grit stone. Maybe this problem is solved for T8 with the new diamond stones. However an inexpensive 80 grit waterstone wouldn't hurt :)

4. I need more clearance for the tool rest. I have some bevel edge knives (around 50-60 degrees) and I hit the maximum extension and the minimum lenght of the knive jig barier. I could barely sparpen the knife.

5. I am sure there is a good reason but why is not the stroping wheel the same size as the grinding wheel. It is a pain to use like this. I am seriously thinking of adapting a larger wheel which could be put on top of this wheel and would be easily removable. Maybe just friction holding, tight fitting outher rim and I would put the leather the other way around with the skin side on the outside.

I am sure I forgot some things but it is already a long and boring post :) These are my early observations. Please forgive my ignorance.

Ken S

cukka,

I am pleased that youu were successful in bringing a T4 home from Frankfurt. I am confident that you will be very pleased with your T4. I certainly like mine.

You would not have been as successful flying with a larger Tormek. The T4 is a real trooper. It packs a lot of power in its smaller size. You are the first actual oboist (to my knowledge) on the forum. There are at least two fathers of oboists who are forum members. (I am one of them.)

I remember perhaps thirty years ago when WCLV, the commercial fine arts radio station in Cleveland, Ohio was having a find raiser for the Cleveland Orchestra. Many of the orchestra members donated services in return for a donation. I believe the donation level was $50 US back then. One offering stood out for me. John Mack, Principal Oboist, a world class oboist and reed maker, offered a private class in reed making. What a unique opportunity!

I think you have chosen wisely with the SJ-200 4000 grit wheel. You are scraping reeds, not slicing tomatoes.

Please check your personal messages.

Keep us posted!

Ken

Fernando

Quote from: cukka on April 22, 2018, 11:20:21 PM
Hello to everyone!

I got my T4 from Dictum.de, it seemed the more convenient way. I sent an email checking whether it would work out and after receiving a confirmation I went ahead and ordered online. Sure enough my package was waiting for me at the hotel when I got there. No problems with delivery and everything was fine, only one small problem they forgot to include the invoice with the package. Well, I needed that invoice to get stamped at the airport so I can have a tax refund and being already weekend there was nobody to send it to me by email. The invoice did not reach me on time before my flight  and now we are working together with Dictum to solve the tax refund problem. I don't want to bore you with this.

I got the T4 with the truing tool, hand tools kit and the Japanese stone and the total weight did scare me - 16.5 Kg.! Luckily I was traveling with a friend. He took the hand tool kit and one of the stones. I tried desperately to fit the Tormek box in my luggage. Had to tear the box at one side and it fit with difficulty bulging my Samsonite. Of course I didn't trust both of the stones ( SG-200 and SJ-200) in the luggage and we took them each in our back packs. I was worried they might not be allowed in the cabin but it went without a problem. So at the end I managed to bring a Tormek T4 with some extras by plane. I don't know how to feel: be proud of myself or feel pity for my country :)

I read your comment completely, not at all boring I must say, I identify a lot with you, because in my country I can not buy anything from tormek, fortunately a cousin traveled to the US and could do me the favor of buying me the T8, before going we consulted in several places and we focused on a place called woodcraft, I gave him the cash before traveling, and I think it was the best, because the rest was a nightmare for my cousin, like you, had many problems to keep it in the suitcases, if a T4 was problematic the T8 is more, in summary my cousin with a tone between joke and serious told me, "I do not go back to buy something like that", could bring everything but unfortunately for luggage handling issues At the airport the water collector arrived broken and bent, without the possibility of buying a spare in my country, I got down to work, and with a heat gun and epoxy glue I was adjusted to perfection and operated correctly.

I hope you enjoy your tormek as much as I do, this kind of experience and the effort required makes us appreciate it more  :)

Ken S

Cukka and Fernando,

I would like to understand your situation. From what you write, I gather that there are no Tormek dealers or agents in your countries. Are you prohibited from purchasing something like a Tormek from a dealer in a nearby country? I realize that international tariffs and shipping costs can be very expensive. I know that I am very fortunate having several Tormek dealers in my home state.  I would like to be aware of the the market conditions of our members.

I look forward to your replies.

Ken

Fernando

Quote from: Ken S on April 24, 2018, 09:45:29 PM
Cukka and Fernando,

I would like to understand your situation. From what you write, I gather that there are no Tormek dealers or agents in your countries. Are you prohibited from purchasing something like a Tormek from a dealer in a nearby country? I realize that international tariffs and shipping costs can be very expensive. I know that I am very fortunate having several Tormek dealers in my home state.  I would like to be aware of the the market conditions of our members.

I look forward to your replies.

Ken

Hello Ken

In my case, I live in Colombia, and I only have Mexico or Brazil, and none of the 2 exports to my country, and it would even cost more than to bring it from the USA

When I have to buy and bring from the USA my basic rule is to multiply the value by 4, so my T-8 tormek if I want to bring it to Colombia using online purchase, you get them for 719 dollars plus tax the basic version of T8, I have to pay 2876 dollars to have one here in Colombia, and those are happy accounts, I have seen over COP 9million "Colombian pesos", "+ - 3200 dollars" the price of a T7 tormek, so in my particular case having a T8 is Really a great effort, no matter that I had to pay over 150 dollars at the airport and an endless amount of things.
The problem in general is that here you have to pay large customs taxes and it's not just a tormek, you do not ask me, but in Colombia the price of any car is double what it costs any American, and the minimum monthly wage It's 279 dollars, you can already get an idea of ​​how this complicates everything.
Having a Tormek here where I live is a luxury.  :-\
Why did I decide to acquire it? because for me dreams have no price

Ken S

Fernando,

Thank you for your very informative reply. I did not realize that import cost conditions were so difficult. I hope things will change someday. If we are all to reap the benefits of global trade, our trade must be truly global. Living in the US, it can be easy to forget that other countries do not always have the economic benefits we take for granted. I appreciate your gently reminding us.

I am pleased that you have realized your dream with no price attached. Fortunately, your Tormek is a very solid, long lasting dream. I hope it will provide you with many years of happiness.

mejores recuerdos, amigo,

Ken