News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

What Angle Is This Knife Sharpened At?

Started by cbwx34, April 06, 2018, 11:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What angle (per side) is the knife sharpened at?

12.5°
1 (12.5%)
19°
1 (12.5%)
22°
2 (25%)
25°
1 (12.5%)
28°
2 (25%)
31°
0 (0%)
Other...
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: June 05, 2018, 11:35:20 PM

Ken S

You may call me the odd man out, however, I do not use the  Anglemaster with knives.

We have to decide how to choose bevel angles: Do we religiously follow the angle used by the manufacturer? Do we follow the angle(s) established by whatever means by former sharpeners? Do we follow the recommendations of the handbook and other sources? Or, do we follow the well done research performed by our own Wootz (Knife Grinders)? (In my humble opinion, the most intelligent choice.)

Do we establish our choice of angle by trying to use the Anglemaster? (fine for chisels, but difficult for knives) The black marker is a favorite method of duplicating angles. My simple needs have been well served by the humble kenjig, very efficient in use and based on Dutchman's excellent grinding booklet. For those willing to trade a bit of speed of use for superior accuracy, Wootz' (Knife Grinders) computer applet will not disappoint even the most demanding user.

I would be remiss if I failed to mention the humble Substitute Target designed to provide a flat measuring surface instead of tapered knives.

I would not want to be without my Anglemaster, I hardly ever use mine.

Ken

Grizz

I pretty much agree Ken. I sharpen all my kitchen knives to 12 degrees and use Wootz app to set everything up. I rarely have to use the angle master

cbwx34

No argument from me... there are better ways. ;)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

In my opinion, not all Tormek jigs and accessories have  advanced at the same pace. I think the drill bit jig leads the pack as the most sophisticated jig. The best combination is the new 186 gouge jig and the TTS-100 set up tool. The woodturners also have the best Tormek video, although The drill bit jig has also been covered by Tormek video. I really like the adjustable camber feature of the new SE-77 jig.

I think the five new diamond wheels (two for the T2/4; three for the T7/8) are a giant step forward, although video support has not caught up yet.

I feel knife sharpening is advancing at a slower pace, both in jigs and video support.   I also feel that the stone grader will eventually be made of diamond or CBN.

Ken