News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Just bought a used older Tormek I believe it is a Super Grind 2000?

Started by Cliff, March 28, 2018, 07:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cliff

Hello my name is Cliff I live in Carlisle Ontario Canada; I've been a woodworker for many years I'm a new lucky owner of what appears to be an early version of the Tormek sharpening system? it came with one attachment I believe for plan blades, missing is Tormek Hand Book the Video and WM-200 Angle Master I believe I can purchase these from Lee Valley. I wanted to attach 3 pictures but all I got was ? don't know what I'm doing wrong? I expect I can up-grade this unit to what the current model offers.  Any advice to a new user would be appreciated. Thank you, Cliff

cbwx34

Quote from: Cliff on March 28, 2018, 07:10:16 PM
Hello my name is Cliff I live in Carlisle Ontario Canada; I've been a woodworker for many years I'm a new lucky owner of what appears to be an early version of the Tormek sharpening system? it came with one attachment I believe for plan blades, missing is Tormek Hand Book the Video and WM-200 Angle Master I believe I can purchase these from Lee Valley. I wanted to attach 3 pictures but all I got was ? don't know what I'm doing wrong? I expect I can up-grade this unit to what the current model offers.  Any advice to a new user would be appreciated. Thank you, Cliff

I can help a little bit...

If you go to the Tormek Registration page (this is the link for Canada), and register the machine, it will give you access to the most current version of the handbook, and some additional instruction videos.

My suggestion on additional items:  the Stone Grader, Stone Truing Tool, (I think Ken is rubbing off on me), and of course whatever jigs for tools you sharpen the most.   Maybe honing compound for the leather wheel also?  (Does it have the Universal Support Bar?)

As for pictures, did you attach them first (using the attachement below)?  (You have to do that first... the pics will show below the text, you can then modify the post and add them in).  If you use this site for pictures... it's pretty restrictive on the size.  If you use a 3rd party host... just add the BBCode for the picture to the text box.  (I'm probably clear as mud).  :-[

p.s.  Welcome to the forum!  ;D
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Cliff. I second the good advice CB gave you. I would also encourage you to acquire at least one sharpening chisel. This is covered in the first tips and techniques topic.

Don't be shy about posting questions!

Ken

Cliff

Thanks for getting back to me CBwx34 and Ken S
I register my Tormek it does not have a serial # so I expect it is an older model. It does have a universal support but no threads, I expect I will buy the current one for the 2000 model, the Stone Grader, Truing tool and honing compound. Now I need to check out the Videos and download the Hand Book
Cliff

Ken S

Excellent progress, Cliff!

At the risk of seeming very generous with your money, I would suggest one other accessory if your Tormek does not already have it. The XB-100 was an add on which allowed early models to have both a vertical and horizontal choice. Read about it in the handbook. You don't need it right away, nowever, it makes the Tormek more versatile.

https://www.tormek.com/usa/en/spare-parts/other-spare-parts-and-upgrades/xb-100-horizontal-base/

I ordered an out of production jig years ago from Big Bear Tools, the Tormek importer in Canada. Dave Street was very helpful; they are nice people to deal with. I have also bern a Lee Valley customer for decades. Canada is well blessed with goid Tormek dealers.

Keep us posted on your journey, Enjoy the ride!

Ken

Ken S

Cliff,

Be aware that the present XB-100 is an improved model. The original model only had a locking screw on one leg. The present model with locking screws on both legs is more secure. I bought the earlier model by mustake once. I thought it was a deal...which it was not.

Ken

Cliff

Thanks Ken, appreciate this information after I get up and running It's likely something I would buy.
Right now I've been cleaning it up as it has sat in a workshop and was covered in sawdust and grime. I expect the first thing I should do is dress the stone. and watch the videos.

Ken S

Wise thought, Cliff.

I am a real believer in the value of spending some quiet time getting to know your Tormek. I have half a dozen handbooks of different vintages. The handbook was written years ago by Torgny Jansson, the inventor and founder of the company. Later editions added sections to cover newer accessories and jigs, however, "the meat and potatoes" of the handbook has not changed. Your time studying it will be well spent. Incidentally, if you should ever be interested in acquiring a printed copy, the yellow cover editions are the right vintage for your machine. They are available on ebay, and not expensive. I have the current edition downloaded in ibooks on my ipad, however, I am partial to the book versions.

I really came to appreciate the build of my Tormek when I took it apart to upgrade the shaft to the EZYlock. You can have the same experience when you clean yours. Be sure to clean and regrease the two nylon bushings on the shaft. Making a smple drawing during disassembly will help putting it back together. It is not complicated, however, I wish I had thought of the drawing idea beforehand........

I use white lithium grease, although the Tormek is not finicky. Vaseline will work. The Tormek shaft works at 90 RPM. That is much less stressful than a high speed grinder motor. The annual relub also gives you a good chance to check the shaft for rust. Before 2006, the shafts were not made of stainless steel. Good housekeeping goes a long way; always dump and clean your water trough at the end of each session.

Your Tormek will give you good service for many years. Enjoy!

Ken

Cliff

Thanks for the heads up Ken on where to look for to older yellow cover editions, I found one on ebay.$5.00 USD. Other than my Tormek was covered in sawdust & grime it's in pretty good shape and it appears I may only need to dress the stone hopefully with just the Stone Grader PS-650. Wow attachments are expensive!!

Mine came with the Straight Edge Jig SVH-60 which will get me started and when I'm ready to up grade I expect I should purchase the Radical Camber Square Jig SE-77 instead of the SE-76 Jig.

I plan to replace the standard Universal Support with the one with the adjusting nut. and of course the Angle Master WM-200.

I expect most of the attachments if not all should work on my unit, would this be correct?

Thanks for all your help,

Cliff

Ken S

Cliff,

All the current attachments will work with your Tormek. "No Tormek left behind" is part of Tormek's philosophy. For what it's worth, my recommendation would be to only purchase the attachments you need, and only when you need them. (being somewhat flexible for discounted prices).

Good find on the handbook. My yellow handbook was a sale paired with an SVH-60 jig. While I like the two newer versions, do not be in a hurry to abandon the older jig. It does not have the square register fence like the newer versions. It requires more skill to use, including careful use of a square and balancing the torque of two screws. I am certain your ability is up toit, and that skill will serve you well with several jigs.

Must dash. I will return later.

Ken

Cliff

I really appreciate your help & suggestions Ken.
With anticipation I turned it on this afternoon filled the trough with water to the marked level but the stone wheel did not get wet?
so I had to shore it up some, I kept filling the trough I guess the stone wheel is very porous and soaks up quite a bit of water?
The stone measures 9 9/16" I expect it is undersized from new, I tried sharpening a 1" chisel even though I do not yet have a truing stone, I appears the stone wheel needs a good truing before it will properly grind my chisel as it took quite a while. I suspect if you press too hard when you are sharpening a chisel you can stop the water wheel from turning? It also appears the plastic bushings on the SVH-60 Jig may need to be replaced there is some play in them?

Cliff

cbwx34

Quote from: Cliff on April 01, 2018, 10:42:58 PM
so I had to shore it up some, I kept filling the trough I guess the stone wheel is very porous and soaks up quite a bit of water?
The stone measures 9 9/16" I expect it is undersized from new,

The water trough has two little hooks on it... these hook inside the machine, so it's at a higher level.  (See attached pic).  A 9 9/16" stone is almost new... new is 10"... so I suspect you haven't discovered this. ;)   They do soak up quite a bit of water.

Cliff

Thanks CBWX34
WOW I thought I needed to buy a new grind stone, after taking the wheel off (A Super Grind) it measures 9 1/2" not 9 9/16"
I need to buy a truing stone before I can sharpen tools properly.
Cliff

cbwx34

Quote from: Cliff on April 01, 2018, 11:58:44 PM
Thanks CBWX34
WOW I thought I needed to buy a new grind stone, after taking the wheel off (A Super Grind) it measures 9 1/2" not 9 9/16"
I need to buy a truing stone before I can sharpen tools properly.
Cliff

The stones can easily be used to 200mm  (7.87")... so you have a ways to go. ;)

Ken S

Cliff,

CB's advice is solid. I would suggest your first priority at this point is figuring out how to use your water trough.Set your chisel and square edge jig aside until you become fluent with using your water trough. Your grinding wheel has plenty of life remaining.

My standard routine is to fill the water trough until the outer surface of the wheel is wet. Turn on your Tormek and let it run. As the stone absorbs water, you will need to add water. After a minute or two, you will reach the saturation point. You want a little water flowing over the stone.

SADW had a very good idea. He recommends using a turkey baster to remove the water when you are finished. I use mine all the time now. A turkey baster costs only a very few dollars at your grocery store. I consider it a high priority purchase. It will cut your water spillage dramatically.

Master your water trough before even thinking of truing your grinding wheel. It is a basic skill. Also, truing is a wet grinding operation. No water, no truing!

You will soon be an old Tormek hand. Hang in there!

Ken