News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

T8 Issues

Started by DaveX, June 07, 2019, 03:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveX

I have a Tormek T8 one year old.I have two issues.1) I can not get the grinding wheel off.The nut won't move.I am turning it in the correct direction.Even used channel locks on it.2) Getting a loud noise from it.Looking for help.Tormek is not responding to my emails.

van

Strange behavior, did you try with pliers? are you sure you are using the right direction to unscrew the nut? (sorry if I allow myself) sometimes it happens to make a mistake. Tried to hold the leather wheel with one hand and with the other, move the stone in the opposite direction?
The Tormek center responds, normally, during the day.
Kindly yours

Ken S

Dave,
I spoke with a Tormek rep yesterday. He agreed with my usual recommendation of contacting support immediately. He did add, except for the weekends. Support must work business hours during the week (Sweden time). He recommended using the forum on weekends for quick response.

Did you email Tormek support (support@tormek.se)? Usually they are quite prompt in replying. I sent them an email today with your post attached. Please contact them again. Also, please keep us posted.

Ken

jeffs55

With the wheel on your right as you look at the machine place a wrench on the nut. Hold the wrench and turn the stone away from you, do not let the wrench move.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Ken S

We seem to have a problem with the EZYlock seizing up. This problem is made more difficult to solve because is rarely occurs. It occurred with me twice, both times several years ago. What did I do to cause or  correct the problem? While I would like to claim such expertise, I can not.

Switching from regular steel shafts to stainless in 2006 has been a major problem solver for Tormek. No more rusted shafts. Unfortunately, this improvement may have included an unforeseen side effect. Stainless steel is subject to galling, which can lock up threads. This may be the cause of our seizures. I say "may" because this is still in the inquiry stage.

I have a couple of possible solutions: Forum members have suggested applying grease to the EZYlock nut threads. In my opinion, this is the start of a good solution. I have no special training in lubricants or metallurgy. Through online searches I have learned about specialized anti seize greases, some specified for stainless steel. Permatex, Loctite, and other companies sell a variety of these specialized greases in various sizes. Looking at specifications for these products, they are designed to function under very demanding conditions and high temperatures. Using one of them with the EZYlock seems like driving a racing car to deliver your children to pre school. However, if they work, I am happy.

My second idea is to switch EZYlock nuts. My T4 originally came with a plastic EZYlock. I purchased a stainless steel replacement EZYlock (replacement part for the T8 from Advanced Machinery). My initial impression of the plastic nut was that it was a cost cutter to reach a marketing price point. After rethinking it, I now think the use of plastic may prevent the galling. I placed my plastic EZYlock on my T8. It has since performed flawlessly. Perhaps a solution? (In the interest of full disclosure, I must add that in the same time period, The stainless EZYlocks on my T7 and T4 have not failed, either.)

This is an interesting puzzle. I hope forum members will help find solutions.

Ken