News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

T-4 Strop wheel seems to be making blades duller

Started by andyguitar, March 07, 2018, 05:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyguitar

Newbie here. perhaps I am doing something wrong. The knife feels sharper before I run it on the strop wheel

cbwx34

Quote from: andyguitar on March 07, 2018, 05:47:25 PM
Newbie here. perhaps I am doing something wrong. The knife feels sharper before I run it on the strop wheel

Without a bit more info... there's two main possibilities...

• You're using too much pressure and/or too high an angle, and rounding off the edge
  • The knife is actually sharper... the edge is refined, and will cut better, but doesn't "feel sharper" to the touch, because it's not as 'rough'.

So, if it's the 1st possibility, try honing with lighter pressure and/or at a lower angle.  Consider marking the edge with a Sharpie, and then 'sneak up' on the edge... start at a lower angle and gradually increase it, checking where you're removing marker, until you're right at the edge, then hone at this angle.  (You can do it freehand or with the guide/jig).

To tell whether it's the 2nd possibility, depends on how you test for sharpness.  For example, it may slice roughly thru paper prior to honing, after honing it may easily glide thru and push cut easier, but not slice whatever you normally cut because it's not as "toothy".  If this is the case, consider an alternative to the honing wheel, or make just one or two passes to clean up the edge, without polishing it out.

One other thing... it helps to have the edge as clean and burr free as possible, prior to honing on the leather wheel, so consider making 1-2 very light alternating passes on the grindstone, prior to honing on the leather wheel.

Hope that helps.  (Ask if I didn't explain something clearly).  :)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Good post, CB

Andy,

I recommend you acquire a sharpening knife. Make it moderate quality, not a budget buster or a junker. Medium size with a simple grind shape.

Sharpen it using the standard technique. Before you use the leather honing wheel, test it by slicing some standard copy paper. Then repeat the paper test after using the leather honing wheel.

If your paper cuts are not cleaner, CB is probably right about you holding the knife at too steep of an angle. Dull the knife slightly by taking a light right angle swipe on your knife steel. Resharpen and paper test again. Before going to the leather wheel, use your black marker. Sneak up on removing the black from the whole bevel. when you reach full bevel, paper test again.

Do this during a time when you are not in a rush. This learning time will be repaid many times.

Keep us posted.

Ken