News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

sharpening a Morakniv Eldris

Started by Ken S, March 01, 2018, 10:41:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Rick recently sent me one of his very nicely machined modified stop collars. In order to effectively work with it effectively, I need a knife with more edge curve. My knives are essentially traditional kitchen and pocket knives with straight or gently curved edges.

I found a knife I believe would be an ideal match for Rick's jig:

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Morakniv-Eldris-Pocket-Size-Fixed--35170

It is about 4mm shorter than the minimum length of the regular Tormek knife jig. Two solutions come to mind. I have the Tormek small blade holder, which I am sure will work well.

The second, more radical solution would be to grind down the width of one of my knife jigs. With a modified knife jig and Rick's collar, I would have a dedicated jig for this one knife. While this might work very well, it seems cost ineffective for one knife for a home sharpener like me. The small blade holder seems more practical.

Any suggestions from the knife people for this old chisel sharpener?

Thanks.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on March 01, 2018, 10:41:10 AM
Rick recently sent me one of his very nicely machined modified stop collars. In order to effectively work with it effectively, I need a knife with more edge curve. My knives are essentially traditional kitchen and pocket knives with straight or gently curved edges.

I found a knife I believe would be an ideal match for Rick's jig:

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Morakniv-Eldris-Pocket-Size-Fixed--35170

It is about 4mm shorter than the minimum length of the regular Tormek knife jig. Two solutions come to mind. I have the Tormek small blade holder, which I am sure will work well.

The second, more radical solution would be to grind down the width of one of my knife jigs. With a modified knife jig and Rick's collar, I would have a dedicated jig for this one knife. While this might work very well, it seems cost ineffective for one knife for a home sharpener like me. The small blade holder seems more practical.

Any suggestions from the knife people for this old chisel sharpener?

Thanks.

Ken

I see this knife as no different than the knife we just talked about in the other thread...

... like I said there, consider clamping the knife at an an angle... having a pivot point means you don't have to keep the knife parallel to the clamp edge (not that you have to do that anyway).

But, I think you really don't need a particular knife to appreciate the benefits of Rick's pivot collar. Try any knife with a bit of a curve... I think you'll appreciate how more natural it becomes to follow the shape of the blade.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Thanks, CB.

I have two paring knives. The one I use almost all of the time is longer with a less curved blade. My second paring knife is shorter and with more curve. I will start with that knife.

Ken