News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

The need for a variety of accessories

Started by Sharpco, February 03, 2018, 02:54:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharpco

I look forward to making more variety of accessories at Tormek for knife sharpening.

1. Real Universal Support
The name of the US-105 is 'Universal support', but this is not really universal. For a Cleaver knife and a Castella knife, it should be higher and wider. For Tormek, it will be much easier than improving a jig or developing a new one.

2. A jig for a thicker knife
I know that the SVM-45 is designed for as many knives as possible but it can't be used for all knives. I'm not expecting a completely new jig now available for all knives. As with the SVM-140 for bent knives, additional jigs are needed for thicker knives. Wootz did this directly. So for Tormek this wouldn't be a big problem.

And the more accessories, the more money Tormek will earn. It is win-win for each other.

Ken S

Sharpco,

Such a support bar is, or was, available through Robin C Bailey, a member of this forum. It is one of the very few third party accessories for Tormek that I have seen. Robin first introduced this extended support bar (both height and length) several years ago on the forum. If he could get twelve orders, he would have his machinist made a batch. He only had one order, me. I later ordered one through his website. I like it. It is well designed and made, and works very well. It is not threaded, which bothers some people who have never used one. The microadjust is essential for some operations, but not long or tall knife work. It does a great job on my vegetable cleaver.

Regarding a jnife jig for thicker knives, I suggest you do what Wootz has done; work with a local machinist. Unfortunately, this is one of numerous ideas which lack enough volume for Tormek to produce. As an alternate, consider making one of Herman's platform jigs. It is sized to allow the full blade to be ground with both bevels and requires no shifting. Herman has successfully used his to sharpen machetes. I frequently state my belief that every serious Tormek sharpener should make a Herman platform jig.

The knife sharpening part of this forum has more traffic than any other part except general Tormek questions. I am sure Tormek follows volumes.Based solely on that, with no inside knowledge, I would not be surprised to see at least one new knife jig in the next year or two.

Ken

Sharpco

Quote from: Ken S on February 03, 2018, 03:41:13 AM
Sharpco,

Such a support bar is, or was, available through Robin C Bailey, a member of this forum. It is one of the very few third party accessories for Tormek that I have seen. Robin first introduced this extended support bar (both height and length) several years ago on the forum. If he could get twelve orders, he would have his machinist made a batch. He only had one order, me. I later ordered one through his website. I like it. It is well designed and made, and works very well. It is not threaded, which bothers some people who have never used one. The microadjust is essential for some operations, but not long or tall knife work. It does a great job on my vegetable cleaver.

Regarding a jnife jig for thicker knives, I suggest you do what Wootz has done; work with a local machinist. Unfortunately, this is one of numerous ideas which lack enough volume for Tormek to produce. As an alternate, consider making one of Herman's platform jigs. It is sized to allow the full blade to be ground with both bevels and requires no shifting. Herman has successfully used his to sharpen machetes. I frequently state my belief that every serious Tormek sharpener should make a Herman platform jig.

The knife sharpening part of this forum has more traffic than any other part except general Tormek questions. I am sure Tormek follows volumes.Based solely on that, with no inside knowledge, I would not be surprised to see at least one new knife jig in the next year or two.

Ken

Ken.

I already have Robin's extended supports. But I'm not satisfied with it because no micro adjust. And it's not wide enough. I expect Tormek to make US400 (maybe US500?) As high as Robin's support.

Herman's idea is wonderful. But it is also the user's end. Why does Tormek not make it? I am looking forward to realizing the ideas Tormek has gained in this forum.

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: SHARPCO on February 03, 2018, 02:54:37 AM
For a Cleaver knife and a Castella knife, it should be higher and wider.

You can do cleavers with the platform, too. No need for a higher or wider US when you do it this way.

Origin: Big Bang

Sharpco

Quote from: Herman Trivilino on February 04, 2018, 04:59:57 AM
For a Cleaver knife and a Castella knife, it should be higher and wider.

You can do cleavers with the platform, too. No need for a higher or wider US when you do it this way.

Herman.

You're right. However, using a platform will cause scratches on the sides of the blade. I don't want it.

wootz

Demand for the US400 is there, but it is not offered among the accessories.

Even in the classical Tormek knife sharpening video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYURcwkKGPs Jeff almost drops his knife at the ends  of the US-105, e.g.
4:49
5:28
6:21

Steve B. has ordered for the US how many? - 20ea  I heard.
Similarly I tried ordering 10 ea. for Australia directly from Tormek, was of course redirected to an Australian distributor, and after multiple follow-ups was told to forget it as discontinued.

But knife sharpeners need a Universal Support not only as wide as US400, but also higher.
Every knife sharpener would get it instead of the US-105.
USA, UK, Australia, Korea shout loudly: we need it!

Sharpco

Quote from: wootz on February 04, 2018, 06:20:45 AM
Demand for the US400 is there, but it is not offered among the accessories.

Even in the classical Tormek knife sharpening video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYURcwkKGPs Jeff almost drops his knife at the ends  of the US-105, e.g.
4:49
5:28
6:21

Steve B. has ordered for the US how many? - 20ea  I heard.
Similarly I tried ordering 10 ea. for Australia directly from Tormek, was of course redirected to an Australian distributor, and after multiple follow-ups was told to forget it as discontinued.

But knife sharpeners need a Universal Support not only as wide as US400, but also higher.
Every knife sharpener would get it instead of the US-105.
USA, UK, Australia, Korea shout loudly: we need it!

I ordered two of US400. I hope it arrives soon.

cbwx34

2. A jig for a thicker knife
I know that the SVM-45 is designed for as many knives as possible but it can't be used for all knives. I'm not expecting a completely new jig now available for all knives. As with the SVM-140 for bent knives, additional jigs are needed for thicker knives. Wootz did this directly. So for Tormek this wouldn't be a big problem.

A self-centering clamp, will also accommodate thicker knives.  ;)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Excellent point. I am sure Sweden will be reading this.

Ken